Tru Oil over satin Warmoth finish ?

DanTM

Hello there !

I have a guitar and a bass body from Warmoth finished with a satin transparent finish.

Since the "flame effect" is quite subtle/unobtrusive I wonder if I can put on some (Birchwood) tru oil over the satin finish in order to get the flame effect pop out more.

Does anybody know if this could cause problems ? Would this damage the satin finish ?

Thanks,
Daniel

Unfortunately putting tru oil over the finish won't give you the effect that you desire. Assuming that it would work at all, it would just make your satin finish glossy-er. You would need to fully strip the finish to bare wood to get the grain popping effect from the tru oil.

ragamuffin said:
Unfortunately putting tru oil over the finish won't give you the effect that you desire. Assuming that it would work at all, it would just make your satin finish glossy-er. You would need to fully strip the finish to bare wood to get the grain popping effect from the tru oil.

I agree with ragamuffin, Tru Oil over the existing finish wouldn't work. In fact, the existing finish may be as good as it gets as far as the grain "popping".
Not all flames are created equal.

Sorry Dan, that won’t work.  You could try make the satin gloss. Then it would be shiny.

Back