Tru Oil on necks - question for Gregg!

dbw

Master Member
Hey Gregg, does Tru-Oil satisfy Warmoth's warranty requirements for necks, or not?  As CB always says, it's not really oil...

Dont take my word for it... trust your nose, and eyes.  If it smells like petro chemicals, and says "petrolium distillates" (or other such petro warnings etc) then its not a real oil.

dbw said:
Hey Gregg, does Tru-Oil satisfy Warmoth's warranty requirements for necks, or not?  As CB always says, it's not really oil...

A properly applied Tru-Oil finish does satisfy our warranty requirements.

Thanks Wyliee... of course the obvious question is, what's "properly applied"?  5 coats?  10 coats?  30 coats?  Do I have to finish the heel?  The headstock?  Do I have to finish the sides (where binding would go) of a rosewood fretboard or could I mask it off and ONLY finish the maple?

Part of my answer is 'it depends' as in it depends on the thickness of the coats you apply.  There is no hard and fast rule.  All of the maple surface needs to be finished.  No need to finish the rosewood.  I usually do about 6 - 8 coats.  Tru-oil can wear off over time and if this happens, just clean the neck and reapply.

Thanks Wyliee.  My next build will get a "budget" neck, maple or maybe mahogany, finished with Tru Oil.  :icon_smile:

Will Tru-Oil arrest the browning on the peg face of a padouk neck?  When mine comes in I plan to leave the neck raw, but I would like to finish the peg face to keep it nice and orange.  My current plan is to fill the grain with clear filler, then sanding sealer, then some sort of non-yellowing wipe on gloss polly.  On the other hand, if a few coats of Tru-Oil would do the job, that would be a simpler process.

chuck7 said:
Will Tru-Oil arrest the browning on the peg face of a padouk neck?  When mine comes in I plan to leave the neck raw, but I would like to finish the peg face to keep it nice and orange.  My current plan is to fill the grain with clear filler, then sanding sealer, then some sort of non-yellowing wipe on gloss polly.  On the other hand, if a few coats of Tru-Oil would do the job, that would be a simpler process.

Ah, ya' got me on that one.  It never occured to me to try Tru-oil on padouk!

Birchwood Casey Tru-oil and the Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax are the materials that ernie ball uses to finish there music man guitars.  feel free to correct me, this is info i've seen time and time again throughout the eb forums.  i do not have any experence with these products or process', but researching it extensively as im seriously considering this type of finish on my current custom neck.  so i would like to know if there has been anybody here who has actually use these products or something very similar with the oil and wax.  was there any significant change in the color of the wood when both were applied?  and how long might this finish last before needing to be re-applied.  and how did the neck come out wrt a musicman finished neck....sealed but feels unfinished
thanks

Wyliee said:
dbw said:

A properly applied Tru-Oil finish does satisfy our warranty requirements.
Hey Wiliee, does the tru oil finish apply to mahogany as well as maple? :dontknow:

Back