Tru-oil filling

gouzos

Greetings from a Warmoth newbie.

I just got a swamp ash body I plan on tru-oiling.
I think I will use the filling method they recommend. That is, wet sanding with tru-oil over a thick layer of tru-oil already spread on the body to make the wood-tru-oil paste that fills the pores.
I really like the grain pattern on the body. I do not want to hide it. On the contrary, I would like it to be really prominent.

Do you think this method will accentuate the grain, dampen the contrast or leave it like it is?

Also, would you dye the body or just rely on the slight darkening by the tru-oil itself?

Thanks.

Personally - get some water based grain filler - in brown.  It goes on easy, comes off easy.  I found it quicker to use an old credit card (sample) to scrape the filler into the grain at an angle.  Get as much off as you can.  Sand it back.  Repeat till the grain is where you like it - filled or semi filled.  The filler will enter the grain and accentuate it. 

This will greatly shorten your oil application because smooth wood will build evenly - you'll use less oil and it will dry more evenly - so the time will be shorter.

Grain filler is cheap and easy - especially considering the price of the guitar.  You can fill the grain in a few days - leaving a good six or eight hours drying time.

This is the effect
PC062161.jpg

-CB-, thanks for the advice.
Have you tried the method I'm talking about? (Birchwood-Casey's manual recommends it) Weren't the results good?

Have you tried black filler? (if, of course, it exists)

Nope never tried it their way, but can say... grain filling is both enjoyable and rewarding <ggg>.  Seriously, you'll get a damn near baby's ass smooth piece of wood to work on when you do that, and the oil finish will shine.

Also - WOOOT like that black filler.  I was about "that far" from using black... and decided to go with brown, since ... I dunno... I envisioned that sorta "grey look" I got on the mahogany when I used black, and it worked well there, but thought better of it for an amber finish.

gouzos said:
SchmoopY's guitar looks real nice with the black filler. Not "gray" at all.

Yah I know... which is why he got a real goot WOOOT!~  I like it!~

Look at the two examples from CB/WillyK; use the water based darker grain filler of your choice, then the Tru-oil.

I love the look of the dark filler with the oil over it. Dang  :eek:ccasion14:

CRAP and I just ordered "natural" filler!  That black looks fantastic!  Is there any way I can dye my filler, say with wood stain or something?

In fact that is a good way to go - dyeing the filler.  You'll use so little filler that you'll like to have it in other shades for other projects.

StewMac sells pigments, and artists pigments work ok too.  You dont need much!  Use concentrated artist pigment just a little.. and voila - colored filler.  Make sure its an acrylic/water based pigment, or natural pigment (powder) not an oil based one.

yes indeed.

imagine a transparent matte black...with red filler or green filler... rubbed in, then clear coated to seal it.  Thats a voodoo-hoodoo!

These work well too - powders that are HIGHLY concentrated.  Trust me!~  I've got about 10 lifetimes supply of raw sienna... in a jar only about 1-1/2 inch tall and 1 inch across!~

370-0224.jpg

LINK  ==>>  http://mohawkfinishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=130

CB, I think you might have forgotten to paste a link there!  :icon_scratch:

I brought my can of Stew-Mac water based grain filler to a craft store near my office.  The lady there recommended trying plain acrylic paint.  I tried it out on a piece of wood I found in a scrap heap (ash?) and it sands pretty smooth.  Can anyone think of a reason not to use acrylic?  It comes in a zillion colors and is dirt cheap, so it'd be great if I could use it.

I can't seem to find filler. I now, weird bur true. Everyone thinks I'm talking about either primer or putty.
Anyway, I found a filler in 2 parts that you mix before applying which is nitro-based. (whatever that means). Do you think that will do?

Back