Tremelo choice for strat build

ggidzinski

Need some guidance on the tremelo for my strat build. Current thinking is a top route HSH populated initially as an HSS with an HSS pick guard. If i want to be able to do dive bombs do I need to go full bore Floyd with a locking nut or can I use say a Wilkinson with a well lubricated nut and locking tuners? What about the decision on a recessed tremelo rout?

Thanks,

George

able to do many dive bombs need FR .

some time  dive bombs Wilkinson with a well lubricated nut and locking tuners should be OK .

Many people believe that locking nuts are an unnecessary piece of the past. A well cut and lubricated nut, along with locking tuners, is all that you need.

In my book, recessed bridge routes are essential, as I pull up quite far, but for dive bombs, it would not matter.

line6man said:
Many people believe that locking nuts are an unnecessary piece of the past. A well cut and lubricated nut, along with locking tuners, is all that you need.

In my book, recessed bridge routes are essential, as I pull up quite far, but for dive bombs, it would not matter.

What tremelos, nuts, and locking tuners do you like?

Around here I think Schaller's got the nod from the largest segment of the populace for the favored locking tuner, but I do okay myself with the Planet Waves machines and the Grover locking tuners as well.  I prefer the graphite-impregnated nuts, and to the extent I actually wangle the wang bar, the Wilky's fine with me.  The Schaller Floyd without the locking tuners is a handsome bit of gear, as well, but pretty spendy.  You could also check out the LSR roller nut, which is less likely to bind than a bone or plastic nut, but I think they only come in one width, so if it's not your favorite width, you're outta luck.

ggidzinski said:
line6man said:

What tremelos, nuts, and locking tuners do you like?

It might be a bit hypocritical, but I went with a Schaller Floyd and locking nut on my Strat build. Despite the quirks, I like Floyds. Though if I were going to build another guitar "properly," I would go with a Wilkinson bridge, Schaller tuners, and a graphite nut.

The Schaller 1305 series vibratos are my favorite...

9___3801.jpg

Hardened steel base place and stainless roller saddles with 2D adjustment. They call it a "vintage" style part that's perfect for Fender replacements, but I don't know why. The string spacing is actually "modern" (2 1/8") and the mounting post spacing is what Floyds use, rather than Fender/Wilkinson or anyone else. So, if you can find one (that can be tricky) and you'd like to use it, then when you order the body ask for the trem route for a surface-mount Floyd.

Barring that, the Wilkinson VS-100 is a fine piece. It doesn't have quite the range of a Floyd, but a Floyd's full range isn't really musically useful. Being able to dive until the strings are hanging off the neck doesn't do much for you. The Wilkie is also dramatically simpler and easier to live with. And if you want, you can get a recessed route for the Wilkie and then open up the rear cavity where the sustain block swings to get the same range as a Floyd.

Of course, Schaller Mini-Locker tuners are fine parts and are easy enough to get. Sperzels are as good, but the knurled nut you use to lock the string in is a bit thinner so it's harder to get a grip on. Schallers also have polished finishes, while Sperzels are satin. Whatever works for you, it's all good.

Graphtech nuts are great. If it'll fit your neck (they only come 1 11/16" wide), the LSR is superior.

That Sschaller tremelo looks good but I see that it is i fact hard to find. Also, I am going to build a 1 3/4" neck so even though the LSR nut looks like the best solution, it won't work in this case.

Looks like it's Wilkinson/recessed, graphtec, Schaller locking tuners.

For the FR I like use Schaller build one , for me , it look better and same quailty

like this one I build .
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22737.0

Hendrix said:
For the FR I like use Schaller build one , for me , it look better and same quailty

like this one I build .
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22737.0

Very nice!

If you go with the Wilkinson, I would suggest a tremsetter.  Personally, I would go Floyd (without the locking nut), TUSQ, locking tuners and, if you can, angled headstock.

Jake said:
Personally, I would go Floyd (without the locking nut), TUSQ, locking tuners and, if you can, angled headstock.

Add a Tremol-No and count me as "ditto".

Go for as straight of a string pull as you can get, and the Strat will certainly service that.  Sperzel staggered locking tuners would service your objective quite well, so would the Schallers as they have a lower post.  I've found that the Planet Waves tuners can often be too high of a post for the straight (non-tilt) headstocks, & therefore don't seat the string into the nut slot with enough downward pressure to prevent buzzing.  Tusq nut is a stellar choice, but if you reconsider the option a 1 11/16" nut width, perhaps you might consider a LSR Roller nut.

Call me "stuck in the '80s," but I still prefer a Floyd and locking nut for a trem.  I have a guitar with a Wilkinson and LSR nut.  It's OK, but it's not a Floyd Rose.  YMMV.  :icon_thumright:

+1 on Cagey's choice. I built one up with a LSR nut and that things is so stable! I got a wilki on another but this one is my fav.
008-2.jpg

Back