Transparent Swamp ash bass body

TheBeed

How easy would it be to do a transparent finish? a purple with a black back and a black burst over onto the purple.
like the transparant purple warmoth do but a bit lighter and with the black
and any help on what finishing materials to use, what cans or anything.
cheers :eek:ccasion14:

Stewmac and reranch both have instructional articles on doing bursts. Read up on those and decide if you think you're up to it (you probably are).

yeah i looked at stewmac for it, aswell as manchester guitar tech as i live in england, and they have a good tutorial for it, what kind of paints should i use? and does swamp ash need filler or anything more?

Swamp ash definitely needs grain filler. What materials you use depends on how you plan to apply it (spray gun, preval, hvlp, etc). Reranch is really the site to read up on your options there.

You'd be better off dying the front purple and then spraying the back/burstover with black. You can use these dyes:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5522

diluted in lacquer thinner to dye the front, if their violet color isn't right, you can get red and blue and mix your own purple; keep in mind you can control the color depth by how far you thin it with lacquer thinner. You wouldn't need anything but the $4.99/20 ml containers, a little goes a long way.

Spend some time going through the DIY Finishing section on this site as to how to dye, grain fill, apply lacquer, etc. When mixing custom dye colors always best to have some test wood to experiment on, you can get small boards of ash or many other woods at the same Woodcraft store or from their online store at the link above.

:eek:ccasion14: thanks guys thats a big help, think i found a place in england that does suitable dye, ill post a link to get your approval when i re find the site... but yeah, right now its for a non existent body, well itll be a pre routed bass body blank in swamp ash, i know a place that will cut it if i give them a template, or my old school place might if i pay a visit haha, but yeah, il post the link to the site,

http://www.hannants.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_27_25&products_id=54
thats the link to the dye i thought would be good, its a stain instead i think but seems like it wud work,

im thinking that doing the body myself with filler dye and the coat or whatever it is, buying that myself along with the plain swamp ash blank wud save me money, which is pretty non existent, compared to buying a pre cut body with a laminate top and have them do a dye with burst over option

any thoughts if eithers easier? and if the cost is much different or not, doing a spreadsheet to compare costs, .... excel here i come ... i guess... hmm...

If you've never built before, I would not suggest cutting your own body. Finishing it yourself is a lot more simple, and swamp ash responds well to a transparent color, so you don't really need a laminate top.

Back