Tonewood and wood stability build advice?

Elijahl

Hello i am doing my first build although i have a fair bit of experience moding and repairing guitars. I need some advice about tonewood and wood longevity. 

I am planning to build a Thinline Tele W/Single coils i also will be adding a strat middle pickup and wiring a Series/Parallel switch.
My play style is mostly clean i like tone and little breakup from time to time. I Love the classic single coil tele neck pickup sound but want to have some strat options.

Tone from wood matters a great deal to me as i notice the difference with same pups different wood.
I also travel from rain forest to desert climates so wood stability and weather resistance is very important which is why i am custom building in the first place.

currently I have come up with the following wood combinations.
Alder body/Wenge top                Wenge neck/Purple heart fret board
Mahogany body/Rosewood top    Purple heart neck/Purple heart fret board
Alder Body/Paudok top                Paudok neck/Rosewood fret board
Black limba body/Black limba top  Purple heart neck/ Purple heart fret board

Id like to hear what opinions and suggestions members on this board will have.

Ive only actually owned alder, ash, and mahogany guitars. 
I prefer glossy maple necks but they just don't seem to hold up as well.

You might want to consider a modern construction neck for stability between climates.

In terms of tone wood and recipes for tone it is a subjective thing other than some broad generalities so I pass on no opinion.

Defiantly was going to go with modern construction on the neck.  If your willing to share id like to hear your opinion?

Given the choice, I would choose Limba 9/10 times for all guitars. Since you favor clean tones I would put a Spruce top.

I have guitars with Mahogany, Limba, Maple, Wenge and Goncalo Alves necks. From these I would choose Limba or Maple if you want a gloss neck and Goncalo if you want unfinished. I like Ebony for fretboards, it's my favorite dark looking wood.

Definitely go for a Modern neck if stability is important.

You’ll love any of your suggested combinations.  The only way to know what you want is to try them.  Try different profile necks.  After almost 40 years of playing I’m settling into a super wide neck with a Wolfgang profile stainless frets, med jumbo, rosewood fretboard, maple or wenge  shaft wood.  Etc

Point is you have to find your own path

Regarding stability, I would say that the way the wood is cut matters more than the species. The tricky thing is that you have no way of knowing what internal stresses exist within a board until you cut it, and even then it can be difficult to know what stresses remain in the remaining pieces.

I would go with quartersawn wood regardless of what you choose. I've found mahogany to be very stable, which might work for you if you like a glossy neck. Limba is great, too.

Ultimately we're talking about a tiny truss rod adjustment here and there. I sincerely doubt that your warmoth-made neck will warp or twist, even with changes in climate, so slip an allen key in your travel bag and regardless which woods you choose you should be fine in terms of stability and wood movement.

Elijahl said:
Defiantly was going to go with modern construction on the neck.  If your willing to share id like to hear your opinion?

I'm in the group that has not thus far had to do anything to a Modern neck once its on the guitar. For that it is worth, roasted maple is also very stable for a neck wood. Guthrie Govan has traveled the world with his Charvel with a roasted maple neck and swears by it for stability.

Thank you all for your insights.  Its seem to be a wide consensus that modern construction with the dual trust adds much stability to a neck, additionally quartersawn and roasting woods adds to their stability in general. 

after much consideration i have decided to go with wood tones which i have experience with that i like.

Solid body Roasted Alder with a modern construction quartersawn padauk neck and fingerboard, Ive been told padauk sounds just like maple but feels like raw wood which sounds fabulous to me.

This is probably an exception to the rule, but it's a data point that shows maybe the rule isn't always the rule. The least stable neck I ever had was a Carvin from 2005 or so with their "high tech" double, two way adjustable truss rod. It needed to be adjusted pretty frequently. The most stable neck I've ever had is my '52 RI Telecaster, it's been adjusted one time in the last 17 years, when I got my frets redone. Both necks were regular old fashioned non-roasted maple.

Back