Tone & volume independent of each other

Graffiti62

In guitars like Gibsons, for example, when the middle position is selected, the overall volume and tone is controlled by the neck pickup controls. Is there a way to break that tie, and have each pickup independent of each other's controls?  My fraternity brother has a bad habit of bumping his toggle switch when he plays, and if he has his volume down to zero on the neck, the whole sound cuts out on him when the switch springs to the middle position.

Thanks much!

I had never noticed that before, but this wiring schematic should do it...I think.  I looks like the two should be independent.  I wired up my LP this way, but haven't put strings on it yet.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com/techwire/tech05.jpg

Try this thread, as well:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=281.0

Graffiti62 said:
In guitars like Gibsons, for example, when the middle position is selected, the overall volume and tone is controlled by the neck pickup controls. Is there a way to break that tie, and have each pickup independent of each other's controls?  My fraternity brother has a bad habit of bumping his toggle switch when he plays, and if he has his volume down to zero on the neck, the whole sound cuts out on him when the switch springs to the middle position.

Thanks much!

Yes, it is possible.  The Jazz Bass has this type of wiring... you can look at that diagram anywhere and figure out how to wire a Gibson similarly (or if you don't know how ask us and we'll help :)).  But I don't think you want it.  Dimitri gives an excellent explanation so I'll just quote him:
DiMitriR33 said:
i dont like it.

i've said this before and i'm saying it again. to wire volumes to be independant you must wire the output to an outer post and the p/u to the conter post. this varies p/u load. that doesn't seem like a problem but this is why a 250k pot and a 500k sound diferent. maybe not a big deel on a bass do to it's lower frequencies and higher output but on guitar you'll lose treble fast when the volume is rolled off.

also the guitar will be more noisey at low volumes when it will be a bigger problem. normal guitar volume operation shorts the output to ground at zero volume eliminating most noise. a lower vaue pot can help this so maybe consider active p/u's. also good sheilding is a must! normally i think it's over rated and don't put in the extra effort as noise hasn't been a big problem in my guitars but in this case do anything you can.
alot of jazz basses i've seen can get quite noisey
obviously it has been done in practice and you might like it but these are my concerns

So consider that it WILL affect your tone in an unexpected way, and that noise will become a bigger concern.

Youch!  Thanks a bunch for the help everybody!  I never thought about the unwanted noise. I'm glad I found this site--the advice really helps!

Back