Tone - subjective opinions

Good examples would be Zakk, Mark Knopfler, Nuno, Dime, Hendrix, Vai, Gary Moore, etc. You just somehow hear it's them just like you hear Freddie when he starts singing. Don't you agree? And I (we) personally think that besides their rig, a lot of what makes them sound so iconic is down to the way they approach the instruments with their fingers. Don't you know the feeling when you play and then hand the guitar to someone else who plays something similar (or even the same) but sounds somewhat different.

PS: you forgot "speed" under B.

Exactly Alex. 
There are many solos we can play note for note, and if we measured then scientifically, would have the same resonances of the original.  It still doesn’t sound the same. That’s the impact of style and technique which I view as tone.

Turning a tone pot doesn’t equal change in tone as most guitarists reference.

I’m as much for scientific measure as anyone, but what makes music is inflection. Style and technique.

Otherwise, we’d all be on a mega dollar tour right now and too busy to discuss this on a forum.

TBurst Std said:
There are many solos we can play note for note, and if we measured then scientifically, would have the same resonances of the original.  It still doesn’t sound the same. That’s the impact of style and technique which I view as tone.

Turning a tone pot doesn’t equal change in tone as most guitarists reference.

This is actually a good example of a subjective view and there is the rub as Shakespeare might say. What do people reference when the word "tone" is used?

In this case one definition of tone is used and described and another rejected, yet both are true definitions.

The first example about a note for note solo and impact of style and technique (more below ) fits definition 3 for tone as a noun in Merriam Webster and the second example of turning a tone pot is an example of definition 1 of tone as a noun.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tone

TBurst Std said:

It could also be viewed or described as touch in addition to tone. Style and technique would certainly be needed to achieve something such as Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore, as an example. Though there is something more as someone with enough technique can play the same piece but the feel, emotion, attitude, dynamics, vibrato are not there, the heart and soul are missing. Though perhaps that is what is being referenced as "style" but is what others might call touch or feel. Style in this sense would be a different definition than style being used to refer to one style of music or another.

Finally before heading out for another pack of smokes and ranch sauce, language has a rich tapestry and often words have more than two meanings even though I don't smoke.

my David Bro-ees,  that's what i'm #saying, Your Sound = (Gear) Tone + Player Technique

u can sound like u on an acoustic but the Tone of an acoustic sure ain't the same as the Tone of a Lester Paul

sry i didnt reply sooner but i spent the last few days trying to find Wheat Thicks. I'm tired of feeling like i should settle stacking 2 of the Thin kind to get more Wheat per Bite. i can't find Thicks anywhere. Did they get discontinued?

i dont believe that the fleshy pads of my flesh fingers are creating a Sonic Signature "tone" juice EQ curve that translates from guitar 2 guitar.

Has anyone mentioned string / action height / more string excursion and dynamic range with a higher action?

Back