tone of lightweight hog?

fdesalvo

My Tele's body is solid hog and is shockingly lightweight.  The body and neck are at the W mothership being inspected, giving me time to look at the pile of hardware and electronics on my tabletop and ponder things like this.  Have any of you had a really light mahogany body?  Any opinions about the characteristics?  It literally feels like a piece of light ash.

Ii have 3 mahogany guitars.  A gretsch solid body (a cross between a LP and a tele), a Gibson LP and my new favorite my Warmith mahogany tele.  They all sound great.  I just weighed the tele last night and it come in near 8 pounds.  I haven't weighed the others but i believe it is heavier than the gretsch and maybe even the Gibson.  (I expect that they Gibby is weight relieved.  The gretsch is a thinner body). In any case I personally am leaning very heavily towards mahogany!  The Warmoth hog tele sound great.  Don't know if I attribute it all to the wood but I'd recommend hog to everyone.  You can see it on the GOM page.

Hey, Frank-

I don't know how much it weighs, but my green 'Hog is at the light end of the spectrum for mahogany, and it's very loud, acoustically, and pretty sustain-y.  It's running Roadhouse P90's and packs a nice midrange wallop, but I suspect that has a great deal more to do with the pups than the lumber.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18406.0

Bagman

This probably doesn't help, but my VIP is chambered hog and my LP is solid hog and they are both HUGE tone monsters but with different characteristics due to necks and pups, etc. Hog is huge no matter what!

I have a Hamer Chaparral that is lightweight mahogany.  It's a superstrat, 24-fret neck, glued-in.  The tone is still somewhat midrangey, and it took a lot of pickup changes to find something single-coil-ish that sounded right (in the neck and middle positions).  It's a great playing guitar, though; faster'n greased lightnin'.  So the tone?  Still hog, leaning into the basswood territory, but still that midrange hog.

My Warmoth Strat has a chambered mahogany body.  The specs on it when I bought it said 3 lbs.  I have EMG-SA's installed and love the sound, but it did take some tweaking of my patches since all my other guitars have humbuckers.

Back