Tone Deaf Test

TimC

Here's a test to see how good an ear you have. It seemed to help if I closed my eyes. I scored in the normal range. http://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/ (Mods, if this is too far off topic, please move. I thought more people would see it here.)
Edited to add: On a web page leading up to the test, the creator of the test said that he made it so tough a pro musician could score 80%.

Very cool.  I took it quickly and got 77.8.  I want to take it again, I rushed :p

Edit: I also scored 2.7 on the adaptive pitch test

I didn't see the adaptive pitch test. I'll go back and try that. I put off my normal score to crappy laptop speakers and a swamp cooler roaring nearby.  :icon_biggrin:

Hehe.  I'd like to find out I'm a musical prodigy, but in my heart of hearts I know I'm merely an adequate musician, and I think my scores on these sorts of tests will reflect that.  I noticed it has a rhythm test too, I'll probably bomb that one.

:sad1: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

72.2%

took it again

77.8%

I've never been so proud to be average.

My dad has been playing guitar for 35 years, and got a 66.7
I'm chalking it up to he was afraid of the demons in the computer box, for that was his second time using a computer. (52 and computer illiterate)

My best friend who has been playing guitar for about a year got an 85.
The world is coming to an end.

75.0% on the Tone Deaf test.

0.375 HZ on the adaptive pitch test. Ha! 97.5th percentile. This is an official explanation as to why I obsess over intonation!!!!

EDIT: 80.0% on the rhythm test, 90.0% on the "associative musical visual intelligence" test.  :hello2:

That's interesting. It seems like you'd have an advantage if you were the type that did a lot of MIDI phrases, and played around with heavy soft synths.

Tonedeaf  - 83.3%

I can't get the adaptive pitch test to run, I click the button and nada... tried IE and Firefox.

didn't work for me either, go to the home page and scroll until you see the article about it.

I got a 4.2 on the pitch thing.  I got halfway through the rhythm test before having a mental break down.

The pitch test loaded OK for me. The rhythm test will only load to 61% and then hangs there. Maybe that's for the best. I'm always hovering on a mental breakdown.

To get the other tests you have to go to his homepage. The links work from there.

PS I had my 14 year old sister take the tonedeaf test and she did much better than I did.

nathan a said:
To get the other tests you have to go to his homepage. The links work from there.

PS I had my 14 year old sister take the tonedeaf test and she did much better than I did.

Got it, thanks.

Scored in the 87th percentile on the adaptive pitch test.
80% on the Associative Musical Visual Intelligence test.
aaaaaand 76.0% on the rhythm test.

The tests are kinda confusing, but I'm very surprised I scored as highly as I did.  Cool links  :hello2:

Back