Tobacco Burst Strat

Phrygian

New thread, and a fresh start.  :)  Here's my the latest shot of my unfinished build.  The canary neck feels unbelievable!  Anyone thinking of going raw should seriously consider this wood!

IM000768.jpg

I think it looks Fantastic!
The only difference is my build has a cream pickguard.
Can't wait to see more pics.
Thepriebster

That thing is going to be beautiful!  Nice work, love the canary neck!

Hello,
Phrygian > Did you cut the humbucker holes in the pickguard yourself or did you get them like that from Warmoth? I love this "contoured" hole vs the rectangular (& more common) one.  :icon_thumright:

Xochitl said:
Hello,
Phrygian > Did you cut the humbucker holes in the pickguard yourself or did you get them like that from Warmoth? I love this "contoured" hole vs the rectangular (& more common) one.  :icon_thumright:

It's actually a Fender pickguard that I ordered from Guitar Parts Resource (http://guitarpartsresource.com).  I wasted a lot of time looking for someone who could custom make a pickguard with that humbucker style cut.  The best you can get from Warmoth and most others is the "fat" style cut.  I was excited when I simply stumbled upon this one in the material that I wanted.

There are a couple of odd problems with this pickguard, both of which can easily be fixed.  The humbucker mounting holes are not drilled, and one of pickguard mounting holes is not countersunk (very strange).

I'm planning to make a template from it at some point.

I wanted that style cut for the Lace daullies that I'm putting in it.  I just found out today that my pickups were backorded.  They are supposed to ship tomorrow.  :(

Don't know where you're ordering your pickups from, but noticed that a LOT of pickups are on backorder at Musiciansfriend.com and some other websites lately, especially Lace and DiMarzios....

There's a huge thread on The Gear Page about Musicians Friend having problems shipping ANYTHING out since the recent change of ownership. This being the internet, take it with a grain of salt, but it could be true.

When I ordered them, I payed extra for priority shipping so they would arrive at nearly the same time as the last of my parts.  6 days go by and I don't know where the pickups are.  I called and they tell me, "Sorry they were back ordered.  I should have sent you an e-mail."  Thanks, how about adding inventory to your online store so that customers know what you have.  Also, they said they would receive the shipment today.  Well guess what, I called today and they still don't have them.  It's the same BS I've dealt with before from other online companies.

The fretboard is Brazilian Rosewood.  It's not what I had in mind when I was planning my build.  I was actually thinking of Canary/Ebony.  When I saw my neck in the showcase, I fell in love with it, and I bought it on a whim.  Most of the guitars I've owned have had Rosewood fretboards so it's not a departure from the norm.  I absolutely love the way this combo looks and feels.

I'm still waiting on pickups, but I now have strings on the guitar.  Today, I soldered the ground wire to to the tremolo claw, finished the tremolo installation, installed the tuners, and mounted the neck on the body.

Phrygian said:
Xochitl said:
Hello,

It's actually a Fender pickguard that I ordered from Guitar Parts Resource (http://guitarpartsresource.com).  I wasted a lot of time looking for someone who could custom make a pickguard with that humbucker style cut.  The best you can get from Warmoth and most others is the "fat" style cut.  I was excited when I simply stumbled upon this one in the material that I wanted.

There are a couple of odd problems with this pickguard, both of which can easily be fixed.  The humbucker mounting holes are not drilled, and one of pickguard mounting holes is not countersunk (very strange).

I'm planning to make a template from it at some point.

I wanted that style cut for the Lace daullies that I'm putting in it.  I just found out today that my pickups were backorded.  They are supposed to ship tomorrow.  :(

Thanks for the info.
It's a pity they don't have it in an HSS pearloid config. I like this hummy cut style since I have it (factory installed) in one of my strats.

Hey Phrygian,
How's your build going?
Waiting in the wings here...
Anticipating...
Waiting...waiting...
c'mon man, whatcha got new...

It's killing me.  I've got this beautiful guitar sitting here with strings on it and no electronics.  I've been jamming on acoustically since Friday (pretty sad huh?).  Bruce at Aamp's said he was going to try to get the pickups drop shipped to me.  I think he's been having a hard time with Lace based on what he has said. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, especially considering the lack of Lace inventory at other dealers.  However, I'm still considering canceling my order.  I'm actually starting to think in a completely different direction.  Every time I look at my unfinished guitar, I can't avoid thinking how good a cream pickguard would look with the tobacco bust and gold hardware.  Even with the MOP inlays and the bright white corian  nut, I think it would look a bit more toned down and classy.

The time to change it is NOW! You won't have to much problems with eletronics parts... But I think it's amazing now...

Back