To lose a parent

fdesalvo

Over the last 6 years my mom has lost considerable weight.  Her back is not permanently bent at a 40* angle and she weighs close to 65 lbs. They discovered innumerable polyps in her colon and lower intestines and a cancerous lump in her chest.  Her lungs are in advanced stage COPD from decades of smoking, so she can't even withstand the anesthesia required to remove her colon and breast cancer.  She's beyond the reach of surgical intervention and her light is rapidly dimming.  She's now resigned to a hospice-issued bed in her favorite room of the house.  I have a pic of her from 6 years ago and she looks so young.  It's so hard to believe she is the same person.

My dad has survived two major bypass surgeries and is being severely affected by this.  They've been married over 45 years and admits that they saved each other.  He's an ex-cop who has never cried in public.  He raised my sister and I to see things as black and white and to always do the right thing.  I watched him carry his closest family's caskets to their hearses and final resting places without so much as a tear.  My sister said that when my mom was recently admitted to the ER, she saw him weeping at her bedside, promising her that when she passes on, he will be right behind her.

I'm flying back home in about a week to spend about 2.5 weeks with my family.  I need to make sure my mom is spiritually and emotionally prepared for what's coming and I'm wondering how prepared I am for what's over the horizon.  I've been walking around with a lump in my throat and tightness in my chest, trying to prepare myself for the unimaginable.  In some ways I'm glad that she's had time to slide; this gives us all time to prepare, but it doesn't make things feel better.  I'm looking at a horrible chain of events in the near term and am struggling with processing it all.

I left home for LA after hurricane Katrina hit in 2005 to pursue music related opportunities, but in hindsight it's hard not to feel that I should've stayed.  I'v found meaningful work out this way that I can't do back home and my sister, who's a RN lives across the street from my parents, so I know they aren't lonely. 

Not sure where this post is going, but I just want to give respect to those of you who have suffered the loss of close family.  I hope that you all are taking your health seriously and aren't ignoring warning signs.  If my parents would have gone to have their symptoms looked at earlier on, they would both be in much greater condition. 

I feel for you Brother. Stay strong. My Dad passed away 23 years ago, he never met my youngest son. My Mom lives with my sister, she's going to 90 next year. Think I'll go pay her a visit....

Godspeed my friend.
I lost my dad just about 3 years ago, he had just completed his estate plan 3 weeks prior.
It was a painful journey with hard questions & he came clean about a lot of things.  I got to see him and my brother reconciled after 10 years without speaking to one another, just 5 days before he passed.

We had a difficult relationship most of my life and I was just a few weeks away from 48 years old before I heard him apologize for anything, including kidnapping me at 1 yr old & taking me out of state for close to 3 years, during which time my mom & sis (from mom's 1st marriage) had no clue where I was, and missed out on seeing my first steps, hearing my first words, and potty training.  When I returned, I was a different kid.

Amazingly, my relationships with my family are stronger than other, and I attribute that to my faith.

Long & short of what I'm trying share with you is this:
"Treasure this time more than anything.  Attending to your loved one and providing personal care can put a whole new perspective on "quality time" with them.  I was fortunate to be sitting with my dad as he breathed his last, and am honored that I was able to fulfill that promise to him, that he would not be alone and that he would know that he was loved."

I'm available if ya ever wanna chat on this.

So sorry to hear this fdesalvo! I wish you strength in the weeks and months ahead. I will keep you in my thoughts.

I lost my father many years ago quite suddenly when I was still in my twenties. But I dont think there is a way to prepare other than taking things one day at a time.

Our thoughts are with you.

You guys are top shelf - and I appreciate the words and personal stories.  Everyone has their own battle with this and it's inescapable, so we have no choice but to face it.  This has already started bringing us closer together as a family, but it's also uncovering the flaws in each of our personalities that have caused us to be less than perfect.  I'm good with that aspect because it makes things real and gives us something to work on. 

I feel better getting this off of my chest.  I've honestly engaged in a few projects that were started to keep myself from dealing with this reality and maybe that's why all of my latest endeavors have failed/stalled.  I think I am supposed to deal with this directly.  I hope to have a usable electric guitar soon (lost my others in a battle with extended unemployment - yay niche career!), so I can get these feelings out of my spirit and into my DAW.  Sting recorded "The Soul Cages" album in the wake of his father's passing and it's his most powerful work.  I've no doubt that it helped him to reconcile his feelings.

Love this place~

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, Frank.

Like BigSteve I too lost one of my parents more than twenty years ago and just a few months ago my other parent was rushed into hospital. Things worked out for the better this time (with the help of a pacemaker) but it is never something one is prepared for. And you naturally start thinking about how precious life is.

Sending you thoughts that I hope can help strengthen you and your loved ones.

Sorry to hear of your difficult time, Frank. I lost my mom some 30 years ago. It was sudden and unexpected. My dad followed a few years later and we had time to deal with it beforehand. Be thankful that you have time to process things before the time comes. It isn't easy but at least it won't be a total shock. Make your time with both of them the best for them and it will be the best for you. My thoughts of strength are with you.

Thank you guys so much.  I'm flying out to Louisiana this coming Friday.  Gonna spend a couple weeks out that way to really spend some quality time with my fam.  Can't wait to get out there, despite my fear of flying (Not irrational!  I'll tell you guys the Greenland/Thule AFB story sometime).

I just returned from the radiologist.  Getting a full check up in the form of full abdominal ultrasound.  Checking the organs out.  Trying to get ahead of anything, so my wife doesn't have any nasty surprises down the road. 

Cheers!

So sorry. It's never easy. I lost my dad 15 years ago. He never met my wife or my son. Both getting married and having a child ripped the scabs off that wound like it was yesterday.  My mom is now 72, and my son is 4. And I know the next 6-7 years or so of his life are going to make up the vast majority of his memories of her.

I haven't traversed this path yet, but considering it and knowing that it is inevitable stirs sadness in me like nothing else. You'll be in my thoughts.

Thanks Tip and VB.

Swarfrat:  My dad and I are just starting to bond.  I made him my best man in my wedding last October.  If I ever have kids, I hope they get to spend some time with their grandparents.  I hardly knew mine - outside of one grandmother who was just awesome.

Cheers, guys. 

Hang in there.  You are doing the right thing.  Even though this type of experience can be the most painful thing anyone has ever felt, there is also unimaginable peace and calm that come from the process.

This experience will change you.  Embrace it all.  Celebrate your mom.  Take time for yourself and the rest of your family.  In the end, I think you will feel better having participated in the process.

There is never a good time for any of this, and I don't mean to minimize any of it.  I'm sorry for the pain you must be feeling.  My best thoughts are with you on this journey.

You guys are amazing.  Update soon.  Really appreciate the thought, prayers, and messages.  You guys are top shelf.  Some amazing things happening here. 

fdesalvo said:
You guys are amazing.  Update soon.  Really appreciate the thought, prayers, and messages.  You guys are top shelf.  Some amazing things happening here.

We got your back buddy! Hope you're doing well my friend.  :icon_thumright:

Today's marks the last full day of my trip back home.  I fly out tomorrow morning feeling heavier than I did coming in.  Cajun food really does a job on ya if you let it.

It's been such a challenging time, but what an incredible chapter this has become.  I was never able to get personal with my parents before this happened, but now we are able to speak about emotional things - the real deep down, dirty junk that no one really feels comfortable speaking about. 

I've spent so much one-on-one time with both of them and there's no doubt that my mom's condition has brought the family together, mending bridge and fence alike.  I've fed her, changed her diapers, held her hand, fed her, took her for walks around the block in her wheelchair, and prayed with her every night before tucking her in.  I've always joked with friends about having to one day do diapers, but in truth it's been a privilege.  It's an honor.

My dad and I have gone shooting and to a car show in addition to teaming up to help mom.  We've never been close, but he's always been there and a solid guy.  This trip really brought us together, as well.  No more awkward silence when sitting across a table from each other.  We have been joking and laughing and sharing personal things.  Really incredible.

I've seen a range of emotions from my parents that I haven't seen before.  I've only seen the parental facade - that "everything's alright and under control" position until now.  It's really been eye-opening and my recent marriage has shed so much light on my perspective of my parents' relationship before my sister and I came about. 

For anyone facing this, what's been helping me through is putting together an actionable rehab plan and keeping my mom on schedule.  I'm making sure she eats protein and carb rich foods and a has a healthy water intake.  She's got much improved waste output, clarity of mind, energy, and her blood pressure is excellent.  The sad truth is that none of this changes the outcome, but it gives her strength to fight and a better attitude.  The hardest thing for me outside of the impending distance is knowing that my dad is too tired to maintain the level of care I've brought in and I fear she will regress once I'm gone. 

I hope all's well with you cats out there.

frank

That's awesome to hear that there are no more gaps in your relationships.  It's what they're all about.
I'm very happy for you Frank.

Back