To: Goncalo man, aka CB

That one is very nice! still much darker than what I have seen in the showcase.. and I think I like it better dark!
Would be nice with no dots at all :)

Yes its goncalo board on goncalo neck.  The board has nice streaks, but the neck... is about as straight grained as it gets.  Goncalo can have some really open pores.  You can see the fretboard is rather open, but the neck is a bit tighter.  The endgrain on the neck - the tip, at the curvves and flare on the headstock, the heel... is very open, but filled just fine with the filler and it all looks like it grew that way now.

Gotta say - like the Warmoth showcase - the pictures dont really do it total justice.  The fretboard is much lighter than the neck - as the neck has been stained "buckskin" brown.  Its about the same color now, as the other goncalo neck, which is undyed.

I agree on the dots.  The creme dots look "ok" on the other neck as its a darker wood.  I had no idea what this neck was going to look like.... it was made for me, not from showcase.  The idea was, I've gotten used to playing on necks with no dots, just side dots, and I wanted something to sort of go along with the black hardware on the guitar, so I asked for black dots and white side markers.  How they get those side markers to look silvery grey I have no idea but they're not very bright at all.  I won't have trouble playing it, but brother Vic will need his bifocals (that old fart!)

Back