Titanium vs. Steel Strat Block?

arealken

Putting together a nice Strat , goal being light weight.

I have a 3 lb. 2 ounce 1 piece Warmoth Alder  body and an old 80's non- cnc  Mighty Mite neck that is also light. Now, I have a Brass bridge plate, and a Callham Steel block. Of course, your Ti is super expensive, although Guitar Fetish now sells a Ti block for around 60 clams, but not trustfull of the quality of that.

What to expect in Titanium block vs. Cold rolled Steel ( original Fender spec). Worth it?

Thanks.

I too, would like to know what others here think of this.
Does titanium give that much better sustain to justify the cost? Or is it hardly perceivable?

Opinions vary. Personally, I think most of the perceived change in tonal character achieved through changing the material the "sustain" block is made of is due largely to the power of suggestion. Spend $150 on a titanium block, and you're going to do your best to convince yourself that it's better somehow. Understand, I'm not saying that it doesn't make a difference, only that its influence is probably overrated.

Having said that, there are some arguments that make sense, depending on the effect you're trying to achieve. Because different metals have different hardnesses and densities (among other characteristics), they respond differently to stress.

MetalHardness  Density
Titanium3344.43
Steel1307.75
Brass608.5
Aluminum  1602.7
Zinc457.1

Disregarding the static tension a string imposes on its mounting points, the stress on those points is mainly vibration. The vibration of the string(s) is what we want to hear, so what effect is the mounting point's properties going to have on that? 

Since the object of the exercise is to hear the strings vibrate, anything that absorbs those vibrations could be thought to be detrimental. So, you would want your mounting point to have a lot of mass so that inertia will tend to hold that point still. Going by that, the block materials that would make sense for increased sustain would fall in this order, from longest to shortest

Brass
Steel
Zinc
Titanium
Aluminum

For increased frequency response, you would want something harder. The block materials that would make sense for that would fall in this order, from highest to lowest

Titanium
Aluminum
Steel
Brass
Zinc

All things considered, steel is probably the best material overall for general purposes. Titanium will be brighter, but you'll lose sustain. Brass would have better sustain, but you'd lose frequency response. Aluminum and zinc don't appear to be particularly good at anything for our purposes, although from a manufacturing standpoint they're far and away the easiest/cheapest to produce.

It's telling that regardless of the numbers, aluminum and zinc are the most common materials used. Why? Cost is certainly a factor. Aluminum and zinc are fairly inexpensive just as raw materials, but so is steel. However, both the former are easily die cast, which eliminates a LOT of machining. That saves time and tools, which are both expensive.

Keeping in mind that all of the materials mentioned are going to be mounted to wood, which is considerably softer and less dense than metal, and that all the considerations have to do with vibration absorption, I think the reality is that when it comes to sustain blocks the difference the material makes is not prominent enough to justify anything exotic.

But, I could be wrong  :laughing7:

There are several variations of each metal listed. Densities vary depending on other elements that are in the mix. Mostly alloys are created to make the metals more easily machinable or workable. But for the most part Cagey's breakdown is probably as close as one can get without experimentation. Personally, I'd go with brass, Ti would just be a novelty in my opinion for a trem block. And one place charging $60 and someone else charging $150, you're probably looking at the type of Ti used and the method in which it was created, ie. cast, forged or machined.

So if you have a guitar that's a bit too "bright" sounding, perhaps a brass sustain block could tame some of that high-end, while increasing sustain.  ???  I find the original Floyd Rose to be very bright sounding.

I will say that I love novelties, and I love working with Titanium. So I bought a piece of aircraft grade 6L4V Ti to make a bridge... :icon_biggrin:
Titanium%20block_zpslmcpatov.jpg

I may try two different ways, I have a billet and also Ti sheet....

I'm all about weight reduction. Yes it is worth the extra cost.
Chambered body, titanium hardware. There you have it.
Now all you have to do is worry about neck dive.

PT said:
I'm all about weight reduction. Yes it is worth the extra cost.
Chambered body, titanium hardware. There you have it.
Now all you have to do is worry about neck dive.

Neck dive is for people that use standard strap button locations.  :icon_biggrin: I tend to keep mine offset just to the bass side of the neckplace, even on stratty things. Helps immensely.

And yeah, if you're looking for weight reduction Ti is the way to go. I'm contemplating a Ti bridge on a future tele build for just that reason.

Totally not because Ti just looks cooler than anything else. Nope.

Billy Gibbons has his neck chambered, presumably for weight reduction. Interesting, I just found that out.

PT said:
Billy Gibbons has his neck chambered, presumably for weight reduction. Interesting, I just found that out.

When you're strung up with  .007's, you probably don't need as much lumber to keep the right relief when it's under tension.  I would be leery of such a solution, but then, I can't afford a stable full of antique guitars, either. 

DangerousR6 said:
I will say that I love novelties, and I love working with Titanium. So I bought a piece of aircraft grade 6L4V Ti to make a bridge... :icon_biggrin:

haha, whats that kiss thing tere to the far right? I see Gene Simm0ns and Paul Stanley.

arealken said:
DangerousR6 said:

haha, whats that kiss thing tere to the far right? I see Gene Simm0ns and Paul Stanley.
It's a mouse pad....

DangerousR6 said:
arealken said:
DangerousR6 said:

It's a mouse pad....

There's nothin' Gene Simmons won't sell with a Kiss logo on it.

http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2009/01/the_9_least_rocking_items_of_kiss_merchandise.php

Bagman67 said:
DangerousR6 said:
arealken said:
DangerousR6 said:

It's a mouse pad....

There's nothin' Gene Simmons won't sell with a Kiss logo on it.

http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2009/01/the_9_least_rocking_items_of_kiss_merchandise.php
yip, he's an advertisement whore...

Back