Strat Trem Block Tone & Spacing Questions

toblerobe

Hey everyone,

I have had to play at low volumes recently and am inevitably hearing my guitar acoustically combined with the sound from my amp. This has 'ruined' the feeling of playing some of my strats as of late as I really don't like hearing the acoustic sound of some of my guitars–almost exclusively only the ones with cold rolled steel trem systems.
To me these sounds are best described as pingy/metallic/harsh top end, and are not pleasant to my ear.

I have a complete callaham trem, and gotoh 510s with steel and zinc blocks-and the latter bugs me the most acoustically. I like to play SS-fretted warmoth necks as well, and it seems that the combination of so much steel is a real nuisance to my ear acoustically(it definitely feels less harsh with nickel fret necks). This idea of 'a guitar's sound is the sum of its parts' really seems to hold true for me.

I bring this up because of all the strats I own, I keep going back to the one with a cheap, thinner tremolo block with block saddles (think these are GFS but not sure). Even with my stainless steel-fretted warmoth neck it seems to not produce the harsh top end or the exceedingly 'sharp attack' many don't like from stainless frets (all good if you don't subscribe to this idea).

I believe I have isolated this issue to the trem blocks as I have changed out gotoh steel saddles to highwood contoured, then to tusq, tried different nut materials, played with nickel fretted necks, changed to raw vintage springs and tried foam on the springs, and swapped around bridges on multiple guitars. For what it's worth this harshness seemed less pronounced on my alder strats compared to my ash ones-which would make sense as many say ash lacks the warmth of many other woods. This same thing has come up for me when playing a number of suhr classic pros I have gotten my hands on-despite their undeniable quality.

I know this is incredibly nitpicky but I hope to hear from y'all. I am thinking about trying some GFS brass blocks out as well but have a lot of vintage spaced bridges- I am wondering if the highway-one vintage mounting spaced/narrow string spaced bridge will work with a GFS MIM-spec block (in other words, does block spacing have to match string spacing? or mounting spacing?)

Thanks for reading and I would really like to hear your ideas. For the purpose of discussion, even if you hear only minuscule differences I would appreciate hearing about your experiences. If you don't subscribe to the idea that this could make any difference, I also understand.

Yes the spacing of tremolo blocks will be different if the overall string spacing is different. Whether one set of blocks would retrofit another bridge would be a case of you researching the specs. But as a rule of thumb assume they will not fit unless you find otherwise.

Thanks for the advice! Do you think it would be safe to assume a highway one strat (2 3/16 mounting spacing and 2 1/16 string spacing) will fit a MIM spec (2 1/16 mm spaced) brass block? as pictured here https://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Steel-and-Brass-Tremolo-Blocks_c_219.html

toblerobe said:
Thanks for the advice! Do you think it would be safe to assume a highway one strat (2 3/16 mounting spacing and 2 1/16 string spacing) will fit a MIM spec (2 1/16 mm spaced) brass block? as pictured here https://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Steel-and-Brass-Tremolo-Blocks_c_219.html

Which Highway One? Aren't they US made?

bruh, if u like your plugged-in sound but not your unplugged sound but have to play low volume, I got a nice cheap, no modification solution for you: Vox Amplug

I'd be curious to know the sonic differences between the different metal tremolo blocks as well.  I've seen blocks in steel, zinc, aluminum and brass, and I'd guess there are others.

Curious do they differ in sound?

rauchman said:
I'd be curious to know the sonic differences between the different metal tremolo blocks as well.  I've seen blocks in steel, zinc, aluminum and brass, and I'd guess there are others.

Curious do they differ in sound?

In my experience, they all resonate a little differently but in terms of a sound change when playing plugged in, I couldn't detect one.

I'm curious why you want to change the block on the Highway 1 bridge.  The genuine Fender HWY1 bridges come with a big steel block, so I doubt there would be much benefit to change it.  The Fender HWY1 bridge with saddles and steel block replacement set sells at a reasonably price too.    Steel and brass are similar in density, so I am skeptical about how much difference there would be between the two materials.   

For the Saddles, I know that solid block steel saddles as used on the Gotoh trem sound warmer than pressed steel Fender ones.  I can say on a Hardtail guitar there can be a very significant difference between saddle types.  There can also be buzzing on certain types of saddles depending how they are shaped and whether they have any wear.    I'd suggest to pay attention to the saddles if you are still finding any unpleasant or unwanted tones.

Hi
Well this is interesting. My #1 Stratocaster (my only Stratocaster) is a MIM strat with a Warmoth roasted maple neck and stainless steel frets. The bridge is  a narrow spaced  six screw Guitar Fetish unit with a a brass block. Specifically it's part number D74

D74 is an entire bridge assembly including the brass block. Price is $44.95
https://www.guitarfetish.com/105mm-Chrome-Spaced-Import-Made-in-Mexico-BRASS-BLOCK_p_1158.html

D70 is just the brass block Price is  $32.95
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Classic-VibeMade-in-Mexico-105mm-spaced-brass-Tremolo-Block_p_1147.html

On the D70 page there is a dimensioned drawing of the brass block. The string holes are 10.5mm apart. The three threaded holes that attach the brass block are 20.75mm apart.

I wanted the GF brass block because in some other forum, a guy was raving about it was the best thing he had ever done for his strat.

I ended up buying the whole bridge assembly because GF was  sold out of just the brass block and also it seemed like a good deal only $12 more dollars for the entire assembly.

I have another D74 bridge still in its wrapper, for my next project. I could measure that for you but I think the drawing on the D70 page should give you the data you need.

Hope this was useful to you

I like the GFS solid steel saddles.  They are the correct shape and have no plating.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Stainless-Steel-Saddles-Fits-import-or-USA-Trems-Set-of-Six_p_773.html

toblerobe said:
Hey everyone,

I have had to play at low volumes recently and am inevitably hearing my guitar acoustically combined with the sound from my amp. This has 'ruined' the feeling of playing some of my strats as of late as I really don't like hearing the acoustic sound of some of my guitars–almost exclusively only the ones with cold rolled steel trem systems.
To me these sounds are best described as pingy/metallic/harsh top end, and are not pleasant to my ear.

I have a complete callaham trem, and gotoh 510s with steel and zinc blocks-and the latter bugs me the most acoustically. I like to play SS-fretted warmoth necks as well, and it seems that the combination of so much steel is a real nuisance to my ear acoustically(it definitely feels less harsh with nickel fret necks). This idea of 'a guitar's sound is the sum of its parts' really seems to hold true for me.

I bring this up because of all the strats I own, I keep going back to the one with a cheap, thinner tremolo block with block saddles (think these are GFS but not sure). Even with my stainless steel-fretted warmoth neck it seems to not produce the harsh top end or the exceedingly 'sharp attack' many don't like from stainless frets (all good if you don't subscribe to this idea).

I believe I have isolated this issue to the trem blocks as I have changed out gotoh steel saddles to highwood contoured, then to tusq, tried different nut materials, played with nickel fretted necks, changed to raw vintage springs and tried foam on the springs, and swapped around bridges on multiple guitars. For what it's worth this harshness seemed less pronounced on my alder strats compared to my ash ones-which would make sense as many say ash lacks the warmth of many other woods. This same thing has come up for me when playing a number of suhr classic pros I have gotten my hands on-despite their undeniable quality.

I know this is incredibly nitpicky but I hope to hear from y'all. I am thinking about trying some GFS brass blocks out as well but have a lot of vintage spaced bridges- I am wondering if the highway-one vintage mounting spaced/narrow string spaced bridge will work with a GFS MIM-spec block (in other words, does block spacing have to match string spacing? or mounting spacing?)

Thanks for reading and I would really like to hear your ideas. For the purpose of discussion, even if you hear only minuscule differences I would appreciate hearing about your experiences. If you don't subscribe to the idea that this could make any difference, I also understand.

From what you describe, I think you'll enjoy a brass block - a much 'mellower' metal IMO compared to the usual suspects.  I love mine.

You might also want to try a different set of tremolo springs, I have a set of these and love them - they're made from a softer, but more robust spring metal: http://www.rawvintage.com/japan/item_springs.php?utm_source=spring&utm_medium=spring20161015&utm_campaign=20161015

-ORC

Back