Time lapse build video?

ChrisMC

Has anyone here done one? I’m getting some pressure to do a time lapse of the build, and although it wouldn’t be that difficult to do, I’m wondering if there would be enough interest to warrant going through the trouble of shooting and editing it.

I only have one GoPro (two would be better), and I of course would change the camera angle depending on what I was doing (more tightly framed if I’m soldering, for example), but has anyone here done one? If so, what sort of response did you get from it? Would there be interest in watching something like that, if it was, say…not very long, say 20 minutes or less (I’m imagining there would be times when I stopped the time lapse to highlight a completed step and film in real time for a minute or two, to go over what just got completed, or to precursor some step that was about to be completed, etc.

I would probably actually FILM the whole thing, but in editing I would shorten a lot of segments and cut some of the more mundane aspects (ie I wouldn’t necessarily need to time lapse applying all three or four coats of shielding paint, just enough footage to get the gist of what’s going on! LOL!)

I’m just trying to decide whether or not to do one, because I know that once the neck and body get here, the last thing I’m going to care about is having a fresh SD card, making sure the camera angle is good, and remembering to charge the battery packs….BUT….if it would be fun for people to watch, I might do it.

Several people have expressed interest, but I wanted to hear what the good folks here thought about it. Would ‘you’ watch something like that, or no? Pass or play?

I am always interested in how other people do things, would definitely watch. I do not have the patience to actually film and edit such a video. I suspect it would increase your build time by a tremendous amount. Can't see handling a cam and a router at the same time or changing cam positions while spraying lacquer. I am not that coordinated. People seem to love how-to videos on social media as well. They are a big draw. Hope to see yours if/when you are done.

The best reason to do this is if you feel it is something you would enjoy doing.

People will watch these types of videos. But it will increase your build time. Even taking photos to do a build thread will do so.

wildbill92879 said:
I am always interested in how other people do things, would definitely watch. I do not have the patience to actually film and edit such a video. I suspect it would increase your build time by a tremendous amount. Can't see handling a cam and a router at the same time or changing cam positions while spraying lacquer. I am not that coordinated. People seem to love how-to videos on social media as well. They are a big draw. Hope to see yours if/when you are done.

Thanks. I won’t be holding a camera; I’ll have my phone as the monitor screen (to see what the camera is seeing), set up the shot, hit record, and start working. I’ll change the angle depending on what part of the build is happening, etc.

I actually enjoy the video editing process of taking a bunch of footage and editing it to tell a story. I just don’t know how I feel about not being fully immersed in the build process, but we’ll see.

stratamania said:
The best reason to do this is if you feel it is something you would enjoy doing.

People will watch these types of videos. But it will increase your build time. Even taking photos to do a build thread will do so.

I hear you. Much like soldering…I don’t necessarily enjoy the process, but I do enjoy the end result. I may not necessarily enjoy having to keep an eye on camera battery life, adjusting the camera shot for the next part of the build, offloading the SD card (it’s a 256GB SD card, so that shouldn’t be happening too many times), etc…but if I do it, I WILL enjoy the end result and be glad I did it. Go Pro also makes it real simple to grab still shots from within the footage, which I would do, too.

I browsed through your purple Strat build thread, and it’s clear that you documented it thoroughly, and I’m sure that took some time. Shooting video in this way may even take less time than stills (during the actual build anyway, but then there’s editing, captioning, etc….but that would all happen after the build and the playing demo) because there will be a lot of “set it and forget it” going on, except for when I stop to film in real time to talk about what’s currently happening.

Back