Tiger tribute (not replica) - need ideas for headstock logo design

ayavner

Hi all - just looking for some help brainstorming. I am building a Tiger tribute guitar (not a clone or replica), using a template for the body shape. The body is a hippy-sandwich made of bubinga and maple, and routed for S-H-H in the usual spots. No onboard effects or coil-splitting stuff, just basic strat-style wiring to suit my own limited abilities and patience. I am using a Warmoth Hombre neck made of hard maple with ebony fingerboard.

I have access to a laser engraver and have done inlay before (on prior acoustic builds) but where I am stuck is on design ideas. Like I said, I want this to be a nod to Jerry/GD but I don't want to copy any existing IP. Trying to think of something that would be subtly Dead-adjacent without being too 'on-the-nose' or outright fanboi.

Most likely I'll use a black-dyed veneer as a headstock overlay, and the design within that. I may do nothing, or I may do a decal and be done with it (I do want to play the darn thing someday LOL). But would love some help brainstorming and gathering inspiration. Thanks!

IMG_6678.jpeg

One recurring motif I see in their art is the use of a circular focal point, and of course skulls and roses.

What I think would be really neat and keeping with that high end Alembic style inspiration is to inlay a medallion. There are companies that create custom challenge coins for the military, a lot of them have online customization tools that you could play with. Having one of those inlaid could be very cool and give you that circular motif, like this momento mori coin I found on the web:

IMG_6679.jpeg

Wow excellent ideas!! I do like the idea of the medallion or other similar trinket inlaid like that. The etsy shops are full of that sort of thing - the juices are flowing now!

Memento Mori generally translates or implies "remember you must die" or words to that effect... wonder if I could use it as a play on words to say Remember the Dead. That'd be a nice touch.

I forget the name, (DangersR6?) but there's a guy on here that does excellent etching and engraving work, might want to reach out to him to get ideas.

I forget the name, (DangersR6?) but there's a guy on here that does excellent etching and engraving work, might want to reach out to him to get ideas.
Ooooh Ricky look at you with a primo build!

Actually, I could not have made that without the input of the really helpful people on this board. Again, Thank you All!

View attachment 60526

One recurring motif I see in their art is the use of a circular focal point, and of course skulls and roses.

What I think would be really neat and keeping with that high end Alembic style inspiration is to inlay a medallion. There are companies that create custom challenge coins for the military, a lot of them have online customization tools that you could play with. Having one of those inlaid could be very cool and give you that circular motif, like this momento mori coin I found on the web:

View attachment 60527
heh, looks like it's eating a hoagie

Memento Mori generally translates or implies "remember you must die" or words to that effect... wonder if I could use it as a play on words to say Remember the Dead. That'd be a nice touch.
According to the internet, that would be “Memento Mortuorum”. Can’t verify, don’t speak Latin… it’s a dead language 🥁🐍

Back