three hows and a what

vtpcnk

how long have you been playing?

how long did it take you to become good? (albert king apparently practiced for 5 years by himself, before he played to another soul!)

how many hours do you practice a day?

and what kinda music do you play?

- Since 2001

- ca 2 years to be moderately fluent, much better now but not all that good

- 1/2 - 2 hours. I don't do much formal practise, I just play away most of the time.

- Acoustic stuff, jazzy stuff, rock stuff, prog stuff.

btw i would like to know what it is that you practice?

scales or chords or songs or just improvising etc.

- 1+ year

- still learning the why's and how come's (decided as an older student, i'd rather learn why things are rather then saying i need to learn a specific song), so I dont consider myself ready to play in front of people (except my daughter), but getting better every day

- try for at least an hour a day, plus the half hour lesson once a week

- mostly blues and blues/rock

20 years (bass and guitar)

I'll never be good.  I don't ever want to stop learning.  I do what I do, because it's who I am.  I started playing with people right away; no woodshedding.

An hour at least, though I have been practicing piano more than anything since I started that a year and a half ago (because it didn't make sense to me), and that improves my guitar playing quite a bit.  I always have a guitar in my hands when I watch TV/movies, and I always try to write parts to the soundtrack and commercials.  I actually encourage my students to play along with commercials, because it helps train the ear, and you don't have time to get comfortable with one key or theme.

Everything.  Rock, Reggae, Jazz (of all types), Hispanic/Caribbean, Punk, Folk, Irish trad, Orchestral (I'm looking at the score of the Rite of Spring as I type this*), freaking anything.

*By the way, the SF Symphony put up this awesome series of piece analysis: http://www.keepingscore.org/  Check it out, it's pretty cool.

-Mark

22 years with a four year and a ten year break in the middle somewhere.

I'm better now than I ever was when I had hair and no beer belly, but I don't consider myself a 'good player'. I'll never be super fast for one thing, and I bounce back and forth too much studying different styles.

1/2 to 2 hours a day. I try to pick it up every day especially in summer.

Rock, blues, folk, the occasional 'real' country tune. Never metal or pop. Currently focusing on electric slide techniques and getting into bass playing a bit.

- Since 2005

- I feel I'm now getting pretty decent, but it depends who you ask I guess.

- Usually around 4-6+ hours a day, especially during the summer, usually teaching myself a song, or scales or just improvising.

- Some blues, rock, and metal

Since 1981

About 2 yrs to be able to say "Hell Yeah", that point in time where the hands follow the mind on command.

Really don't practice by myself unless I'm learning a new song. Practice twice a week with the band 2-3hrs at a time.

Classic rock, hard rock, metal, progressive metal, some blues, some jazz, some classical

Guitar since August 2003, Bass since September 2005.

I'm still terrible...

Half an hour? I don't really keep track of time.

Solo guitar and bass work.
Steve Vai type stuff with no talent.
Michael Manring and Jaco type stuff on bass.

3 years bass one year guitar

bass: 1 1/2 years guitar: still working on it.

sometimes almost 6 hours on guitar (stopped bass)

80's metal

- Just started last month

- I've almost got the riff to "Smoke On The Water" down; I figure in 3 years I'll have the intro to "Stairway" down (it is quite the epic).

- I generally follow a regimen whereupon I practice for a 1/2 hour, then sing each note for a 1/2 hour
 to make sure I memorize said notes.  This really allows for a good ear training exercise.
 I repeat this process 12 times because 12 is a good round number.

- Skiffle, hurdy-gurdy/polka, reggae and the occasional jazz odyssey.

Superlizard said:

- I've almost got the riff to "Smoke On The Water" down; I figure in 3 years I'll have the intro to "Stairway" down (it is quite the epic).

- I generally follow a regimen whereupon I practice for a 1/2 hour, then sing each note for a 1/2 hour
 to make sure I memorize said notes.  This really allows for a good ear training exercise.

You kill me man  :icon_jokercolor:

Superlizard said:

...really?

- since the early '70s.  That would be over 30 years.

- I can hold my own.  I'm better now that I ever have been.

- I try to do at least an hour each day.  Sometimes that's at lunch at work (yes, I have a 'work' tele).

- When I want to get my chops up, I do scales and exercises.  When I'm getting ready for a gig, I do a lot of songs.  I mostly concentrate on my singing actually.

- Every style of music.  You name it, I've played it.  Actually - this isn't true:  I don't play blues.  Started out leaning Rush, Hendrix, Mahogany Rush, and some Jazz (high school stage band, don't cha know), got into punk and hardcore, then into rockabilly,  then into country, then started writing songs.

I can still do the main riff of "Spirit of the Radio"  :headbang:

I've been playing for 10 years.

I don't think I've ever been good, I've been good enough for the garage bands I've gigged with, and jamming with marko, and church stuff, but I think I'm a slacker.

In my teenage years I'd practice 2 hours a day minimum. The last two years, (sick for 6 months of it) I don't play every day, I try to, but it doesn't always happen. I need to start again.

I like playing rock stuff mostly. Lately I've gotten into getting my piano playing friend to play classical pieces, and having me make up accompanying pieces, usually just improvised.. enjoying that a lot.  :glasses9:

smavridis said:
...really?

Yes.  My guitar teacher told me that it all starts with "Smoke On The Water".  He says if you don't have that riff down, you ain't got nothin'... and,  "your lessons will stop until you do".

Superlizard said:
smavridis said:
...really?

Yes.  My guitar teacher told me that it all starts with "Smoke On The Water".  He says if you don't have that riff down, you ain't got nothin'... and,  "your lessons will stop until you do".

I guess that's the Simon Cowell view of guitar playing!!!  :laughing7:

Guitar for 19 years  (started playing piano 25 years ago)

Define good?  I could hold my own after about 2.

I don't "practice" anymore.  Honestly I never really did except when I was in college and had to learn something for a test.

Rock/Blues/Funk/Jazz/Classical/Pop/Techno-ish.  Whatever comes my way.

Back