threaded inserts for pickup installation

SkuttleFunk

images from a new build for a client in Australia ...

I have utilized numerous different ways for securing pickups into their cavities over the years, and have always had reservations with one method or another until I started utilizing brass threaded inserts and stainless machine screws the middle of 2009. I like the ease and detail of adjustments that a fine thread machine screw offers that a coarse threaded wood screw simply cannot equal. I also like that, barring total abuse by an owner, there's very little potential for a screw head becoming stripped and inoperable even after repeated adjustments. and for those who like to swap pickups on a near weekly routine - I like that the mounting holes won't become worn out and unable to secure the pickup in place even with a firm piece of mounting foam underneath

so, just what do you need to do this yourself?

RH09411T5L-PuMtg-Parts.jpg

- a drill press (aka pillar drill) is a must for installing pilot holes that are dead-on perpendicular to the body top plane
- a quantity of 4-40 brass inserts designed for wood use
- for the specific inserts I use, an 11/64" drill bit is the size recommended by the insert manufacturer
- a short 4-40 screw with a pan head
- gap filling, slow set CA glue

NOTE: For those in the US, the inserts and machine screws reference here are readily available at Ace Hardware at the time this was posted

I start off the process by placing the pickup into the cavity, and then install the outer two strings so that I can be assured that the pickup pole pieces will be aligned with the strings. if any adjustments needs to be made to the neck install angle, bridge location, or pickup position - it should be done prior to proceeding.

I then use a transfer punch sized to match the clearance hole in the pickup shell to mark the center point of the mounting hole location. After marking all of the mounting locations and removing the pickup from the cavity, I then set the stopping depth on the drill press about .25" deeper than the insert is long and drill the pilot hole

RH09411T5L-PuMtg-Hole.jpg

To install the insert, screw the pan head screw into the insert making certain that the slotted end of the insert is opposite of the pan head of the screw and on the end that will make first contact with the body (opposite of where the pan head will rest) - that slot is for aiding the insert to cut its threads into the wood and NOT for utilizing a flat blade of a screwdriver to turn it!

Add a drop of CA glue about 1/3 the way down into the hole making certain that you don't use so much that it will pool at the bottom of the hole and/or squeeze out at the top of the hole when the insert is installed. gently twist the insert into the hole until the pan head of the screw is flush with the bottom of the pickup cavity. You could also insert a flat washer onto the screw prior to twisting it into the insert, giving you a larger surface to turn against ... I haven't found this necessary for these small inserts

RH09411T5L-PuMtg-Complete.jpg

After giving the CA glue a few seconds to set, remove the screw from the insert and repeat the process for the other pickup mounting holes.

One critical point in this process is to be certain that your transfer punch is perpendicular to the body top plane when marking the mounting hole locations. If you have the punch at an angle, the location of the center mark will be off ... and your pilot hole will then be off ... and the pickup mounting hole may therefore not match to the location of the threaded mounting hole.

I also can't stress enough the requirement for utilizing a drill press / pillar drill to install the pilot holes. This is NOT a job for utilizing a hand drill IMO and IME

all the best,

R

Very nice Rod.  Interesting you post this now as I've been pondering pickup mounting options and machine inserts in general.

Gracis!

Wow, thats awesome! i'd love to try this on a build, great job on forwarding the craft  :icon_thumright:
+1

That is way cool...
I too would love to try that.  All I lack is a drill press.
Ahhh, some day!  Thanks for showing this to the group. 
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Thanks for sharing a good and useful tip.  Wonder if there are inserts for the size of humbucker screws.

Unwound G said:
Thanks for sharing a good and useful tip.  Wonder if there are inserts for the size of humbucker screws.

I just spent an hour looking for them. I think they are too small. They have nylon inserts, but no brass or stainless steel.  :sad1:

Scott

mouser has aluminum and stainless standoffs that will work.  They're hex shaped, come in 1/2" to about 2" long, in 1/4 inch increments.  You'd drill a larger hole... but then again, just glue it up anyway.

If I was doing those, I'd probably just press a little wax into the end and tape over it.  Then epoxy the sealed end into the body.  Nice concept - especially for stuff like P90's.

If you were going to use this for humbuckers I would think you would want to turn off a small portion of the thread from the screw just below the head.  This way the thread in the mounting tab wont be an issue.

phred said:

Hey Scott,

Where on this linked website did you find threaded inserts for 3-48 thread screws?  This link goes to some part called a "press nut spline".
This does not appear to be any type of a threaded insert  :dontknow:
I have searched everywhere for the threaded inserts for 3-48 thread screws with no luck.  The closest I can find is a 4-40 thread.
If you can point me in the right direction on the linked web site, I would be most appreciative.
Thanks for your help  :eek:ccasion14: 

Yep Scott, that link is to the correct part.  I gave them a call this morning and they confirmed.
Unfortunately, they are $4.47 each with a minimum purchase of 15 pieces. 
I sure can't use 15 of them and I don't want to buy a bunch of extras at that price.

If anybody knows a different source for these, please post.  I have looked everywhere and cannot any other sources for the 3-48 thread.

:rock-on:

Thanks for the tip on how to install the inserts.  Just like installing a Helicoil!!  You know if you can't find threaded inserts like Mr. SFunk recommended,  you could use a drill bit that is a little larger than the screw, and epoxy a nut to the pickup cavity, over said hole, and use that. 

Or just use a big old piece of electrical tape right over your pickup.  I had a guitar that for years that had really tight single coil routes, and I just held the pickups in with electrical tape.  When the corners of the tape started pulling up, I'd change the tape.  I don't recommend duct tape in this application, the adhesive in duct tape leaves too much residue when you finally decide to finish your guitar after your inital 'I'm gonna set this up to see if everything works" phase of the project :doh:

Back