This time, it's a good idea, I promise... not mentioning truss rods or tees...

rockskate4x

How about a flat top VIP... I've wanted a VIP for so long, but ever since the the price has been upped so much because of the carved top, I've been forcing myself to consider a soloist instead for the similar high fret access. I don't want no soloist...

That's a pretty good idea.  I've thought about that a little myself.  Something kind of like PRS's SE customs or something.

I too have thought about that.  I asked at one point and was told it was not an option.  Perhaps that may change in the future.

rockskate4x said:
How about a flat top VIP... I've wanted a VIP for so long, but ever since the the price has been upped so much because of the carved top, I've been forcing myself to consider a soloist instead for the similar high fret access. I don't want no soloist...

Does the VIP actually have similar access to the upper frets? I've been looking at the pictures of the Soloist vs the "others" on the site for ages, and I'd much rather have a Strat body or a VIP, but that extra high fret access is nice to have, especially on 24 fret necks. If it does have that kind of access I might finally be pushed over from Strat to VIP for my first build...

It's not quite as radical in high fret access as a soloist but its got more than a strat does... And it's just more awesome anyway...

Thanks, I might go VIP then, I'm still waffling, probably will right up until I place the order. If they only had a chambered soloist I'd have my order placed by now (Strat is the best looking IMO, but that comfort is a big deal to me if I'm going to shell out for the extra 2 frets).

whoah, I just looked again and the VIP might even have a DEEPER upper cut than the soloist... the lower cut looks about as deep as the soloists... So don't get that anorexic strat body that we call a soloist, and serve yourself some meat that we call a VIP because you can still play high and wild, AND have all of that wood for straight up LP like fatness...

But carved tops are too expensive, so PLEASE, Greg, Tony, everyone at Warmoth, design the flat top VIP so that there may be joy in the world...

It looks to me like the soloist has at least a 1/2" more cut out than the VIP, but I could be wrong. Definitly much more than the strat though. I might end up having the decision between VIP and strat made for me when I contact them to find out whether they can use wenge for carved tops (not listed on their site, but it is listed for the other kind of tops, and for bodies, so I don't see why not - other than cost of course).

Wow, I never noticed that... the VIP does have great upper fret access (not that I ever freakin use it). Seems to me to look nearly as good as the soloist's. Not quite, but really close. But what do I know, I have never played either guitar.

I would to love to see the soloist and the VIP superimposed... can one of you photoshoppers get on that...

This is a fun hijack, but Greg, I REALLY want a flat top VIP!!!

Flat top VIP might be a nice idea, but they still have three VIP bodies well under $400 in the showcase.

I don't know if I can get any any time soon... I'd sure love the flat-top option though so that there will always be something in reach when the VIP's I want aren't on the showcase...

rockskate4x said:
Get a soloist and cut down the horns.. :dontknow:

Back