This just in...

Tweed

I'm super-mega-pumped about this thing! Danelectro Dano Pro. I'm too excited to say all the good things I want to right now! Check back, if you must.
:icon_biggrin:

s569517491_523956_6971.jpg

s569517491_523957_7292.jpg

s569517491_523958_7562.jpg

Tweed said:
I'm super-mega-pumped about this thing! Danelectro Dano Pro. I'm too excited to say all the good things I want to right now! Check back, if you must.
:icon_biggrin:

s569517491_523956_6971.jpg

s569517491_523957_7292.jpg

s569517491_523958_7562.jpg
Very happy for ya man, but Danelectro's just never got me excited....They look to much like contemporary furniture..... :dontknow:

I've been in love with Danos since I saw a video of Jimmy Page playing White Summer on his 59DC.  Nice axe!  :icon_thumright:

I think I'm finally in the right frame of mind to pontificate a bit now.  :icon_biggrin:

First of all, it plays like a damn dream, like buttah. I could NOT have asked for better action, etc. All the frets make the right sounds.
I am really surprised by the build quality of this thing. Maybe I was expecting a train wreck, but yeah; very smooth work. If you didn't know it was made of ply-Masonite, you'd never guess. It feels quite solid. There's just enough acoustic sound unplugged to make it much more alive (without an amp) than my Carvin Tele, which costs nearly three times as much. Maybe my favorite thing is that the whole package is satin finish: neck, body, hardware, pickguard; the Carvin is a shining example of gloss and therefore a reason it's been sitting in its case for how many months. I was expecting a good amount of single coil hum, but I was surprised at the relatively good behavior; yes, it still hums, but nowhere near as much as I feared. Again, expecting a train wreck. (Why did I buy it sight unseen in the first place?)
I think I am only disappointed in two areas: The tuners don't hold very tightly for very long; The pickguard is SO thick, probably 1/16"-3/32." Oh, and this is the first guitar I've played where the pickup switch gets knocked around by strumming.

BTW, this is the one I was asking about perhaps replacing with a W neck. Not happening. At all. The screws wouldn't line up. Awww.

But this contraption is what vintage guitar Mojo is about: Primitive materials joining forces to deliver more than they logically should.

Tweed said:
BTW, this is the one I was asking about perhaps replacing with a W neck. Not happening. At all. The screws wouldn't line up. Awww.

I went through the same dilemna, I've got a Ho-Dad that's neck is WAY too "shoulder-y" for me. Love the sound of that guitar, hate the neck. And I agree, those Dano's are surprisingly well made. Nice guitar you've got there.

For cheap guitars they're amazingly nice.  Jimmy's was stock.  (Well, he bought two and took the neck from one and the body from another.  But all the parts were stock.)

DangerousR6 said:
Very happy for ya man, but Danelectro's just never got me excited....They look to much like contemporary furniture..... :dontknow:

Dude, you scare me...you think just like I do.

Congrats on the score.  If you love it, that's all that matters.

A buddy o mine has one of those, and despite my initial reservations, it's surprisingly easy to play, and sounds quite cool.  Not sure about the shape, but I have to agree with Doc.  If you like it, then thats all that matters.

dbw- gotta agree with the jimmy page "white summer" bit.  Never wanted a danelectro till seeing that: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27YaZMam1OY

And... the tune allegedly "stolen" by Page...  enjoyable to watch and compare. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM3_m2gVUck&feature=related

"The highlight of the "Little Games" album is Page's solo acoustic showcase, "White Summer." With its Eastern tuning and dazzling fretwork, this tune has long been regarded as one of his finest performances. And rightly so. Curiously, the song is credited to Jimmy Page. However, it is a traditional English folk song called "She Moves Through The Fair." Many British artists had previously covered the song, including Davey Graham. Graham, along with English folk guitarist Bert Jansch, was one of Page's major acoustic influences. Coincidence? The song should be listed as "traditional; arrangment by Graham/Page," but it is credited to the Yardbird guitarist alone.

Perhaps citing these songs is nothing but an excercise in semantics. After all, putting your name on traditional tunes is nothing new. Take the legendary patriarch of country music, A.P. Carter, as an example. Through the early part of the 20th century he and his kin scoured Appalachia, copyrighting dozens of centuries old tunes that had their origins in the British Isles. To this day an ancient song like "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" is credited to A.P. Carter. Those in the know just chuckle and say "Well, A.P. had the smarts to put his name on it before anybody else." However, the last great Yardbirds tune was most definitely not a traditional song, but was written by a contemporary musician. Jimmy Page was to take this song with him to his next band, Led Zeppelin."  Taken from http://www.furious.com/perfect/jimmypage.html

Tweed: sweet guitar... have fun.

dbw said:
I've been in love with Danos since I saw a video of Jimmy Page playing White Summer on his 59DC.  Nice axe!  :icon_thumright:
I've seen it and I still don't want one..... :binkybaby:

Despite players like Jimmy Page, Syd Barrett, and Brian May, I don't think I'll ever like Danelectros or Burns'

Not my thing, but congratulations on your find!

Neil Stryker said:
And... the tune allegedly "stolen" by Page...  enjoyable to watch and compare. 

Jimmy was no stranger to lifting old blues/folk/Yardbirds songs and slapping his name on them.  But that's what most of rock music is... he just did it better.

Back