Thinlines routed for Fender pickups

Ted

Guys -

On the tele thinlines routed for Fender pickups, Would I be able to install P-90's?

I have no idea how to install P-90. Presumably you just screw the buggers down...? Anyone have a cross sectional diagram ?

Thanks Ted  :icon_thumright:

By fender pickups, you mean the big fender humbuckers I assume?

I'm 95% sure you could do that. You're right, you do just screw them into the wood. Use some kinda foam in between the pup and the wood to adjust height.

Yeah nathan the big chunky fender humbuckers. Or I might have them installed with and coil split? or even maybe some kind of rotary switch arrangement.

Which Thinline routings do you mean?

If the body is top-routed like a '72 Thinline for dual HBs you just need order the pickguard cut custom from Warmoth either for the larger 4 screw mount Fender HB or for a "regular" HB as appropriate for the PUs you want to use; you can easily mount P90 in a HB form factor PUs like RG Bastards or SD PhatCats that way. If you want to use "mount to wood" P90s in a body routed like this you can, but need a Warmoth custom order pickguard and will need to install the pickguard FIRST before the P90s to ensure they line up OK.

If the Thinline Showcase body is already routed for a normal Tele PU config, you can have the neck PU re-routed for mount to wood P90 and the bridge for regular HB and use an HB form factor P90 in a Gotoh Tele HB bridge.

If you want to use "mount to wood" P90s in a body routed like this you can, but need a Warmoth custom order pickguard and will need to install the pickguard FIRST before the P90s to ensure they line up OK.

Thanks Jack that's what I wanted to know.

I wouldn't do the big fender humbuckers. The fender reissues get awful reviews. The only company that I know of making replacements for those biggies is rio grande, but theirs all have weird pearloid bobbins, I don't like it at all. Wish they made a nickel-enclosed version, I'd buy that.

Yeah I keep changing my mind over which pickups to use.

You're not the first to say the Fender HB's are poor and I really don't like the uncovered look on a tele (rio grande).

P-90's are the way forward I think.

Back