Thinking of breaking the rules..

War_in_D

..of the hard "ceiling" I have on body weights under 4 lbs. and sticking with chambered bodies.  I picked up my old Kramer Focus 3000 the other day and plugged it in, and wow.. Solid maple body on that one, and while it's not Les Paul heavy, it's got some heft to it.  It just had a three dimensional sound/tone to that I've been lacking here lately.  Same with the Copperhead Soloist which has a solid swamp ash body/maple top.  They both seemed to have a lot more note definition, especially while chording.  You could really hear each note of the chord ring out.  Maybe the difference could be that both the Kramer and Soloist aren't chambered, or possibly it's the pickups that are in them??  Not sure.  I've always been a fan of the Dimarzio Super 3 in the past, but I put one in the L.O.F. Strat and I have to say that I've been less than impressed with it in that guitar.  Sounds a bit lifeless... very compressed and almost muddy where it's been a screamer in other guitars I've used them in (non chambered guitars).  The Super 3 is pretty mid heavy with a little less bass than the Tone Zone, so maybe something a little more tuned to the high end for a chambered guitar?? 

The Kramer has a Rio Grande BBQ in it (medium output, but no specs on the bass/mid/high), and the Soloist has a Dimarzio Tone Zone (high output that's bass and mid-heavy) and they are much more three dimensional and full sounding than that Super 3 in the L.O.F.

Any input on this regarding chambered bodies being less defined sound-wise?  If so, what do I need to look for in a pickup to help mediate this?     

I have always found chambered bodies (I have 3 of them) mid heavy.  A mid heavy pup would equal mid possible.

TBurst Std said:
On second thought, I should not call them mid heavy. But none of them are bass or high heavy.

Interesting.  I was attracted to the chambered bodies mostly because of the weight savings, but I have to say that IMHO there is just something "missing" with them... and it's not just the weight.  :laughing7:

I guess I better start working on my core.. looks like heavier guitar builds are in my future.. lol 

Back