The Worst Guitar Tone You've Ever Heard

I like Eric's tone for what it is, a super smooth jazz tone. And it fit's his style well. Would I want to play it every day? No. But it's not that bad. It also comes down to name recognition. Some players shoot for a good tone that's recognizable because having a sonic identity sells records and merchandise.

Recently been listening to a lot of older things on youtube.  I have to throw in most of Johnny Winters tone.  I just never got it.  Especially with that lazer guitar.  ugh.  Local acts are hit or miss.  The one thing that bugs me the most is too much gain or distortion.  If it don't sound good clean, overdriving the crap out of it won't sound good either.

That said, I play with a few older guys like me who are just doing a few gigs for fun, and getting good sound live isn't easy at all, particularly with two guitars going on.  I'm sure a good sound guy would have us on track pretty quickly, but there just aint one of those around.  We just have to resort to having someone go out in the yard and tell us how it sounds…So I try not to bash some crappy sounding live acts I see too much.

Back