The Wilkinson Trem

Seryaph

Hey guys,

I'm currently assembling my first Warmoth build and just had a quick question. So I'm currently attempting to install my wilkinson trem but I'm unsure of how deep I need to put in the screws for the claw in the back. I took a look at a buddy of mine's Strat and he had the screws for the claw drilled in pretty deep. Is there any sort of preference or requirement to how deep they should go? Also, is there anything else I should know about installing the trem?

Claw first and then the strings right? And then adjust the truss rod accordingly? a bit of a stupid question, I know, but better safe than sorry.

Many thnaks.

For the claw, it depends on your set-up. If you want it flush mounted, you can put the claw pretty deep. Also, i would put the claw on, and one spring, put a string or two on, then another spring, another two strings, ect. If you are doing flush mounted, I'm sure you could put all the springs on at once.

I always run a ground wire into the cavity first. It's easier than when it's full of hardware. Then I install the claw, but only run the screws in far enough to hold the thing in place, say a half-inch or so. That way I don't have to fight the springs being in the way. Then I hook the springs between the claw and the trem block. If they're loose at all, I run the claw screws in a little more to tighten it up. At that point, it's time to get serious about terminating that ground wire. Solder it to the claw, or drill a hole in the claw and run in a screw to hold a wire terminal. Doesn't matter, whatever you're comfy with. Then you can start stringing it up. As you pull tension on the strings, the bridge will likely rise. Run the claw screws in to compensate. Keep going until it's floating balanced while in tune or tight to the body, whichever you prefer. You might have to adjust the fulcrum screws to get the height right, particularly if you want the thing to float. Don't worry about string height yet; you'll adjust the saddles later to dial that in.

Here's a trick for adjusting the claw screws, makes it really quick and easy. You won't have to keep tuning, adjusting, retuning, adjusting, etc.

Get a small triangular piece of wood you can insert between the trem block and the body, opposite side of the springs. Start to bring the strings up to tension enough to pull the trem up. Then insert the wood until the trem is level and parallel with the body. Once it's there, get your studs adjusted for the proper string height. Adjust the wood in or out as needed to keep the trem level and parallel, using the trem arm makes it really easy to adjust the wood. Once the trem saddles are intonated correctly and the guitar is tuned to pitch, install the springs. Use the trem arm to pull back on the trem to release the wood.  Start tightening the claw screws until the guitar is back to pitch, do not adjust the tuners, either screw the claw screws in or out to be at the correct pitch again. Once you have the claw screws where they need to be, your guitar should be in tune and the trem should be level and parallel with the body.

If you install a Tremsetter, just install all the springs and tighten the spring claw down enough so you can use the Tremsetter to keep the trem level and parallel. Then once the trem is set up correctly, back off the Tremsetter and adjust the springs in the same manner as above.

Back