The Sirens

Blind Prophet

I started this project months ago but got sidetracked and couldn't finish until now. I posted some early pics before but here's the short version - my wife is an amazing artist and i got into guitar making a couple years ago. I thought it would be cool if my wife painted on the guitars that i made. I'll post some more further down, but here are a couple of pics of what i started with:

Attachments

• new guitar.jpg
    new guitar.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 24
  • new guitar3.jpg
    new guitar3.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 11
With the painting finished and the neck test fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_9338.jpg
    IMG_9338.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9347.jpg
    IMG_9347.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 24
finishing the neck with try oil and applying the headstock decal

Attachments

• IMG_9638.jpg
    IMG_9638.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9661.jpg
    IMG_9661.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 22
shielding the cavity and the basic finished product

Attachments

• IMG_9679.jpg
    IMG_9679.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9720.jpg
    IMG_9720.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 19
front and back. the finish is high gloss lacquer over the painting. she has a Dimarzio PAF Joe in the neck and a Mo' Joe in the bridge, vintage Wilkinson term, master tone and master volume with push/pulls to split the coils and a three way toggle. Graphtech black tusq nut with Grover mini locking rotomatic tuners. She sounds great and looks amazing. I'll see if i can find a few more in progress pics - i know i have some but they aren't on the computer for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_9724.jpg
    IMG_9724.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9716.jpg
    IMG_9716.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 41
Nice work!

Not going to see one of those anywhere else, that's for sure.

Kind of late but here are a few more pics. Most from an iphone so the quality may not be great but you get the idea. This is the initial pencil drawing, the neck right out of the box and the body with the first layer of oil paint.

Attachments

• drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 12
  • neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1
  • blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 11
Ok two more. I love the first one because you can really see how shiny it is with the trees reflected in the lacquer. Gotta love winter in the desert. The second really shows the maple through the painting. Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• shiny.jpg
    shiny.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 19
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 15
This thing is looking awesome! The flame top really brings out the texture almost looks like scales haha! There's a band from Indiana called Sirens, they would love this!

jeddak said:
Stunning. Love the effect of the transparent artwork with the wood grain showing through.

Thanks! That was kind of the idea behind the whole thing. A lot of my wife's paintings incorporate the grain of the wood as part of the painting so we thought it would be cool to use highly figured tops as the background. So far, so good I say :toothy10:

That is just wonderful.  This is turning into the "amazing artists who use warmoth as a canvas" forum.  Congratulations!

Excellent!! I would have baulked at covering any of that quilt, but the artwork is really beautiful too and together they are just spectacular!  :icon_thumright: :guitarplayer2:

Back