The sickness that is called Mandocello

raystankewitz

Hey all, I've got a few questions for all y'all-

I'm contemplating a Mandocello build for my next project. I have a source for the bridge, sort of a hardtail Fender-inspired item with a 2" spread center to center outside to outside.

For the body, I thought about using a Strat rear route in mahogany but I wanted to know if it was possible to do LP controls, back route and side jack hole on this body. I know it can be done with a Tele, it just seems like the Strat could be done, too. I would prefer the Strat shape over the Tele.

Also, the neck would be a Snakehead shape in mahogany/macassar ebony, '59 profile for strength, 24 3/4" conversion length. Will Warmoth make this neck with no tuner holes drilled? I would be using mandolin (!) tuners, 4 on a plate so I would have to drill my own holes. The other thought for tuners would be Schaller Mini tuners.

String gauges would be 56 44 34 20 tuned CGDA (note - Mandolin is tuned GDAE)

I would appreciate any feedback on this from other Mandocello builders.

Cheers,
Ray

I don't have any experience with a mandocello but it sounds like a very cool project. As far as LP controls in a strat body go, I don't think Warmoth does it but the rear route has enough space to allow for quite a bit of flexibility. You will probably want to put the pickup selector near the other controls though - there won't be much room for the traditional LP location with the strat upper cutaway. Good luck with the project and be sure to post your progress!

I'd consider an L5 body to optimize the tone , this would also leave plenty of room for wiring options.

DavyDave53 said:
Have you considered using carved top tele for its body?

Yes, that sexy carved top Tele that's on their website, the blue one, really floats my boat. The LP controls are available on a flat top Tele, too. Maybe a flat top Tele with a belly cut might work.

greywolf said:
I'd consider an L5 body to optimize the tone , this would also leave plenty of room for wiring options.

L5 is a great choice, but no longer available. That whole 'Cease and Desist' thing.

Thanks for the input.

Ray

raystankewitz said:
Also, the neck would be a Snakehead shape in mahogany/macassar ebony, '59 profile for strength, 24 3/4" conversion length.
Will Warmoth make this neck with no tuner holes drilled?
I would be using mandolin (!) tuners, 4 on a plate so I would have to drill my own holes.

With a custom order neck, just don't put anything where it asks 'which tuner holes'

Meaning No holes.

Could add a note also in your order / email, when you put your order in, stating that you don't need tuner holes.
Wont be any added cost for doing that.  :icon_thumright:

So I Google mandocello, being that I am a mandolin enthusiast.
And HOLY CRAP, those things are AWESOME!
Now I want want... And a mandola , and a mandobass....  :laughing7:

What about the Mooncaster body?

sixstringsamurai said:
So I Google mandocello, being that I am a mandolin enthusiast.
And HOLY CRAP, those things are AWESOME!
Now I want want... And a mandola , and a mandobass....  :laughing7:

What about the Mooncaster body?

You know, I thought about it, then I realized it would not work. The MC is set up for a TOM/Stop tail while the only commercially available Mandocello bridge is more of a Fender Hardtail inspired piece. If I still had contacts in the machine shop world, I could have a TOM/Stop tail made for it but alas, both of my contacts moved on to the hereafter. This is the only commercially made bridge that I know of;

Moongazer Bridges Part number MCOMB, down the page on the right, 2" spread version.

Anyway, I was advised that I should use a neck that had some peghead angle so I may have to use the Vortex, just ask for no holes drilled. Another item is the pickups; UI'll have to use pickups with a blade shaped polepieces, not individual.

Ah, the journey with this project is becoming interesting. And the wife has noticed said project.

Ray

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the mandocello's possibilities, permit me to share Mike Marshall's demo of same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAMe9pZwogY

Mike Marshall is one of the premiere mandolinists on the planet.  Covers classical, jazz, "new acoustic music" of the Windham Hill variety, and whatever else he wants to play.

I guess I've lived a sheltered life; I never even heard of a Mandocello until the start of this thread. After listening to Mr. Marshall, I'm thinking everyone should have one.

Cagey said:
I guess I've lived a sheltered life; I never even heard of a Mandocello until the start of this thread. After listening to Mr. Marshall, I'm thinking everyone should have one.

Ah, Yes, yes indeed. A mandocello is such a kick-ar$e instrument, especially when paired with a mandolin and an octave mandolin.

Mike Marshall and Chris Thile do a little swamp music called Gator Strut over on youtube.

Mike Marshall, Chris Thile, "Gator Strut"

I was looking around Youtube fore some new ideas for Mandolin chops when I ran across Mike Marshall. Now I know I need one. Well you said it best; We all need one.

Warmoth, are you listening?

:icon_biggrin:

Wow. That "Gator Strut" is something else! Mr. Thile really teaches that mandolin a lesson!

Dang... you will have my great envy when you complete this project.  I LOVE that sound.  I'm thinking about a tenor guitar (aka - 4 string mandocello) for a build for myself sometime soon.  The all 5ths tuning is superfun!

Cagey said:

Back in high school, I heard a song from Cheap Trick's first album called "Mandocello", and I was kinda baffled as to what instrument Rick Nielsen is playing until I was able to look it up years later once "The Google" came around. Then I facepalmed.  :eek:

Back