The sequelcaster/somethingcaster

Max, I'd spend all my extra money on a decent tube amp.  Your Line-6 is solid state correct?  I'm sure it does the job for now, but an awesome guitar will sound bad through a cheap amp, and a cheap guitar can sound awesome through a good amp.

Well... surprise.

My thought for now is to sand it down next weekend, since I'll be gone this weekend. I'll decide what exactly to do then. For now, I'm thinking a flame maple top (or quilt, if I can find the right piece) with a brown dye, sanded down, and amber dye, like Dmraco's. Seems to get a feel close to that tiger's eye I like so much. If I do that, I might also sand down the back and dye it a mahogany color. I have no experience with binding, but who knows... I may try my hand on some extra wood, and decide it I like it. If I go that way, I'll go creme or white hardware.

I'll probably do a complete rewire, replace the electronics, and put phase, series/parallel, and coil taps in there. It will be just a fun guitar to mess around with the settings on. The trem will probably be replaced later too. There is wood missing from the neck area, which a maple cap will cover.

Haven't decided on a pickguard yet. I bet a gibsonish one will look cool.

Hmm, that has some potential. Are you thinking of another lam over the top of that or replacing it?

Max said:

NO pickguard!!!!
Trying to remember where I saw a LP pickguard on a Tele... I almost tried to search the guy and give him a slap or two :laughing7:

For binding:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Tools_and_supplies_for_binding:_Binding_channel_cutting/Piloted_Binding_Router_Bit.html

Believe me, this thing will help you a lot to not mess the body...
Would be cool to a finish like this:
01-Small-Front_of_Tele.jpg

(from Patrick from Davis)
I would only omit the "black" on the edges...

Blue313 said:
Hmm, that has some potential. Are you thinking of another lam over the top of that or replacing it?
I'll be replacing it, because the binding needs to go, and the top has a few imperfections. Besides, a flashier top could make a good counter to my nice soon-butterscotch ash tele.

And NT, I was thinking about getting something like that  :icon_thumright: Thanks.

I don't think I'll shoot for Patrick's finish on my first go :p

You're going to make the finish alone?

This is one of the most nice teles I've seen, if you get a Quilted and put a finish like this (but without the black part), would top notch... Ask Mr Greg "Tonar" a little help! :laughing7:

NonsenseTele said:
Max said:

NO pickguard!!!!
Trying to remember where I saw a LP pickguard on a Tele... I almost tried to search the guy and give him a slap or two :laughing7:

Found:
http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16396.msg216233#new

Well, guys... I ordered a quilt maple top from some guy in South America. Here's some pictures of the top before the guy sent it out.
quilt%20one.JPG

There's the top with some lines that will be ignored.

quilt%20two.JPG

And there's some guitar on top, to show my tele will work there. That's some ugly wood, there! I'm glad my maple's not rotten!

rapfohl09 said:
I dont even understand what that is ^. hahaha.

Well all it takes is a visit to the Warmoth Gallery: "i put a harpa in the flat top body...with pentatonic scale...i love pentatonic". I'd guess they resonate to add some lovely chime to the sound. Cool idea, though not exactly novel.

So, right now...
the plan:
See if a guy at my church who makes violins has a planer, and chop off the top 1/4 inch of my guitar.
Cut the quilt to shape
glue
let sit for a while
creme binding
dye it (getting help, don't worry :p) a tiger's eye look
exotic neck, maybe rosewood
rio grande tx/bbq set, since you guys like it (creme rings)
super-crazy jimmy page wiring, since I need a guitar with useless features to counter my other tele. Push-push pots.

No pickguard.

Max said:
No pickguard.
UHUUUUUUUUUU!  :hello2:

But you shall measure the top, it's somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4"... (it was sold as 1/8")

Rosewood neck FOR THE VICTORY! :evil4:

Okay. I'll need to figure out what I'm going to do about the binding, then. I'll figure something out.

Max said:
Okay. I'll need to figure out what I'm going to do about the binding, then. I'll figure something out.
I think you should go on that thing I showed, from StewMac... the easier and safer, with probably the best results...
That will look cool with a white binding, but you don't need to but binding, as far as you make a burst on it, as Warmoth does on some bodies

Sounds awesome Max! I love tiger's eye  :icon_thumright:  How long do you think this will take you to finish up? 

The router bit?
I'll be using one of those, definitely.
Anybody know of a good way to get rid of binding?

I love tiger's eye too :p There's an Tiger's Eye Lp in the showcase that I've been eyeing forever.

I have no clue. I have a small budget (about $10 per week) but I'm working on that. I've got to finish (clearcoat) my other guitar still, and it just depends how smoothly everything goes. I'm thinking a few months, since I have more confidence in what I'm doing this time around.

Back