The refin thread

Tonar8353 said:
Here is the stripper I'm using. This is pretty strong stuff so I went to right to the surface with it.
IMG_8841.jpg

That paint stripper is so strong, its distoring light!

We decided to go with a black lacquer back because the alder did not take the dye very well and was extremely blotchy. I shot black lacquer on the back and sides today and the top rolls over into the black on the sides very nicely so I will not have to put any burst on the to edge of the face. It look great!!!
IMG_8887.jpg

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg

I can accommodate that request, here you go. The top is still not level but I hope to get the final coats on by Friday if the wood cooperates.
IMG_8961.jpg

Tonar8353 said:
I can accommodate that request, here you go. The top is still not level but I hope to get the final coats on by Friday if the wood cooperates.
IMG_8961.jpg

Is the slight blue tint just a reflection, or is it a bit of the old dye peaking through?  Either way, it looks amazing.  It could also be option C) my eyes playing tricks on me...

I was wondering the same thing. I thought it was supposed to be a black sort of thing, but it looks more like a gun metal blue.

unless the colors are totally whacked, the overspray in the control routes is blue. I have to pay close attention on clothes, because - while not color blind (I can see em), I'm color space challenged by the Y chromosome. (Honey, is this black or blue? If you're late for something and you ask this question, you will be both. So I learned to look for clues like threads and stuff.

swarfrat said:
unless the colors are totally whacked, the overspray in the control routes is blue.

I assumed that was painter's tape to keep the spray from going through the top of the guitar.  :icon_scratch:

I did not use any tape on the guitar I just shot the sides and back with black lacquer. 

The blue you are seeing is more of a lighting thing. Notice how light the peg board looks compared to many of the other pictures I have taken on it. The guitar looks black but in bright lighting some of the old blue can be seen ghosting through.  I just went out to the shop and looked at it under normal lighting conditions and it looks totally black but this afternoon when I looked at it in full sunlight I could see some of the old blue. It looks really great.

And she is a re-finished guitar.
This is the full sun shot.
IMG_8996_zps41fd4167.jpg

This is the indoor natural light shot.
IMG_8998_zpsbff3a832.jpg

I just wanna say I've shown this thread to my husband at least 3 times.  I keep forgetting that I've shown him before.  But he still thinks it's impressive every time. 

Back