The "Questions Too Stupid To Deserve Their Own thread" Thread.

great resource, but did not find the metallic spheres album that David is featured on there
seems he uses the same distortion box I do, a tube driver,  try finding one of those now days

http://www.rondomusic.com/ad201vwhleft.html

ad201vwhite5left.jpg

I think this guitar is flippin neat, and it costs beans.

I'd totally buy it and swap the pickups just for the hell of it...

but um...

how hard do you guys think it would be to upgrade that bridge?

I've heard people say its posts are 3.25, which I'm told is standard

but I have no idea what that means.

I just want something black with individual string intonation... like the 510, TonePros AVT2G, or even this thing.

http://www.wdmusic.com/intonatable_comb0_bridge_tailpiece_black_includes_metric_studs_and_inserts.html

AGWAN said:
I think this guitar is flippin neat, and it costs beans.

I'd totally buy it and swap the pickups just for the hell of it...

but um...

how hard do you guys think it would be to upgrade that bridge?

I've heard people say its posts are 3.25, which I'm told is standard

but I have no idea what that means.

I just want something black with individual string intonation... like the 510, TonePros AVT2G, or even this thing.

http://www.wdmusic.com/intonatable_comb0_bridge_tailpiece_black_includes_metric_studs_and_inserts.html

The problem I see with a black bridge is the inserts in the body it screws into would either need to be replaced, or else they wouldn't match.

well, I don't care if they match that much, but I do want a better bridge.

I have no idea how hard it would be to change those inserts.

its a 259 dollar guitar, a nice one for the price, and I'm not totally against replacing the electronics, bridge and tuners

but if the bridge turns out to be this super complex task....then... fugedabout it.

Is the LPS body here really just the same as the LP body with the extra cut? Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me, but I'd swear the LPS is a little smaller all around.

Cagey said:
You could put a Gotoh 510 on there without much trouble at all.

its in my top two, the other being this
http://www.allparts.com/TonePros-AVT2G-C-Bridge-p/gb-2578-010.htm
which i think looks like it fits the guitars appearance better.

the Gotoh 510 says its spaced at 3.23, and the current studs are 3.25 as is the version of that Tonepros I was looking at.
it seems a TEENY difference in size, but I wonder if that could cause problems.

Most stop tailpieces and their associated Tune-O-Matic pro bridges are fairly sloppy parts, so I wouldn't expect there to a be problem with the mounting studs being 20 thousandths off. But, according to the TonePros (your alternate to the Gotoh 510) site, they have no slop. Since we're dealing with wood here, I can't imagine how they expect to make zero tolerance parts work. Of course, it also wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer made highly optimistic claims that aren't borne out in reality. And, to be fair, they may have some sort of graduated mounting slot that forces an automatic centering. Tough to say without better pictures/drawings (which they suspiciously don't provide) or first-hand experience.

There's also the question of metric vs. SAE parts. Since that guitar is unabashedly Asian, the chances of it being metric are pretty high.

yep, its Korean as all get out.

but both Rondo and others who own it say that the posts are exactly 3.25 inches.

I'm not against the Gotoh 510 in the slightest... I just wonder how the studs from this cheap no name bridge will work with a Gotoh or Tonepro.

Anyone ever think of slapping a Strat neck on an Iceman?

It looked better than I thought it would. when I Paint.net'ed it.

The Cardigan Guy said:
what string guage is the warmoth nuts slotted for?

.009/.010 standard sets; will need to do a little filing to set up heavier or custom sets with much heavier 4-6 strings

Didn't want to go and create a new thread for these questions, so i thought here would be appropriate...

I'm thinking on going the "Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo" option on the strat replacement and i was wondering what the best tremolo was for this. I was thinking the Fender Tremolo 57/62 but i'll take suggestions

Secondly, i'm leaning towards a Relic'd pickguard but i also want a reversed bridge pickup, which makes things awkward. I've been to fatboyguitars.co.uk but they've said they don't do it. I've not asked about sending one to them to relic but i'd imagine the answer would be the same. Any suggestions?

I don't think those are stupid questions. Quite valid, in fact. But, they really belong in the "hardware" folder, where they can be properly made fun of in full view of everybody + dog.

Be prepared to defend the insanity of installing a 6 point vibrato bridge and making a perfectly good-looking guitar appear to or actually need extensive repair <grin>

I think I'm living with the best 6 point tremelo, the boogie rail, since it uses the 6 point screws without having all the terrible issues.
Not sure why you'd want one out of the gate though.  Do yourself a favor and go 2 point!

No issues with my vintage 6 either. :dontknow:  I can beat the crap out of the strings  all day, and everything stays in tune.

BlueFirebird said:
I can beat the crap out of the strings  all day, and everything stays in tune.

You shouldn't beat your strings, man. They don't know any better until you teach them. Just give them a stern lecture and a time-out to think over what they've done and what you've said. Unless they're profoundly retarded, they'll learn. I know you think beating them works since they stay in tune, but that's just them cowering in their saddles out of fear. It's better if you work together in peace and harmony.

Back