The process has begun.......

Stopped by the graphics shop today and they had the body finished.  Surprisingly, it turned out great.  The colors were a little off due to the different printer inks but I am still excited to have it back ready for the next step.  Here is a pick of the body.  The incadescent lights above did not make it photograph well.
1.jpg

Here is a pick with the neck and some hardware sitting on the body.  The third knob is under the Floyd to hold it up.
2.jpg

Here is a pick of the back.
3.jpg

Compared to the graphic pic posted earlier in the thread, it turned out pretty close.  Now I am curious how this method of covering will effect the tone.  I am going to wait a couple of days to decide the finish coat method.  Still leaning Poly but going to look into it more before committing.

Wow....I must say that looks killer... :headbang: Did they have to do the graphics in 2 sheets? One front, one back? :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Wow....I must say that looks killer... :headbang: Did they have to do the graphics in 2 sheets? One front, one back? :dontknow:

Yeah....they did it in two sheets with a thin splice around the back edge.  There are a couple of splices in the tight radius corner near the neck but that is one reason I designed the pattern busy.  Hopefully, it being busy takes the attention away from any areas they made cuts.

That came out pretty damn good!

Those cut areas can be touched up with an airbrush.  If you put a clear over that, it should be fairly invisible.

I wasnt going to ask, but ive seen it come up a few times now. Could wrapping that in vinyl (im just guessing, could be something else) really affect the tone? When I read it over in mayfly's post about his fabric I thought it was a joke, but could it really affect it?

On a more positive note. DAMN that thing is awesome. Ive seen so many cool finishes since joining this forum.

rapfohl09 said:
I wasnt going to ask, but ive seen it come up a few times now. Could wrapping that in vinyl (im just guessing, could be something else) really affect the tone? When I read it over in mayfly's post about his fabric I thought it was a joke, but could it really affect it?

On a more positive note. DAMN that thing is awesome. Ive seen so many cool finishes since joining this forum.

I will find out pretty soon how the tone is affected.  I have learned a lot from this forum that I didn't think about on this build.  My next build will only have to get better from the info gained.

Instead of adding a new thread, I decided to ask it here. 

Why are some humbucker mounting plates tapered and some flat?  I have some from Warmoth that are tapered for my SD humbuckers.  I want it all to be setup correctly and need to know if I should get the flat.  Does the type of bridge dictate or is it a preference thing?  If I use the tapered, do they both taper toward the neck? 

vansmack said:
Instead of adding a new thread, I decided to ask it here. 

Why are some humbucker mounting plates tapered and some flat?  I have some from Warmoth that are tapered for my SD humbuckers.  I want it all to be setup correctly and need to know if I should get the flat.  Does the type of bridge dictate or is it a preference thing?  If I use the tapered, do they both taper toward the neck? 
If you mean the bottom part of the mounting ring that contacts the body, straignt bottom cut is for flat top guitars, curved bottom cut is for carved top guitars.

If you mean that the mounting ring is cut on a slant, that's for guitars that have a larger neck angle in relation to the body (i.e. carved top Les Pauls,etc). Keeps the pick ups parallel to the strings.

:icon_thumright:

Attached is a progress pic.  I did the wiring this weekend.  Getting close to putting on some strings & setting up.  I am anxious to hear what is sounds like.

x-finish.jpg

Thanks.  The finish does have a few flaws.  I did a lot of trial and error.  Mostly error. 

When I started the build, I didn't know about this forum.  I wanted to build just a "beater" guitar that looked ok for a DIY'fer.  After seeing some of the awesome rigs posted others have built, I started taking a little bit more time and putting more thought into it.  I still think of this one as my "beater" that I put together.  My next build will be my "showcase" guitar.

Wow, that looks a helluva lot less "beaterish" than my first build. But it's still the guitar that I made and finished myself, and I'm happy with it, flaws and all. Flaws build character, right?  :icon_biggrin:

But I know exactly what you mean; my next build will be my "showcase" build too.

Nice work on this one just the same though.

yeah i started my first build and then i found this forum and now i really want to build a strat with a floyd because it always looks AWESOME. Kudos on that finish btw

vansmack said:
Thanks.  The finish does have a few flaws.  I did a lot of trial and error.  Mostly error.   

When I started the build, I didn't know about this forum.  I wanted to build just a "beater" guitar that looked ok for a DIY'fer.  After seeing some of the awesome rigs posted others have built, I started taking a little bit more time and putting more thought into it.  I still think of this one as my "beater" that I put together.  My next build will be my "showcase" guitar.

That's funny, my first Warmoth was intended to be a beater as well.  I just slapped some Home Depot poly / stain mix on it and called it good enough.  I maybe gave the neck one wipe with a rub on poly.
I soon fell in love with it, and 9 years later haven't bought a production guitar since.

Looks awesome, hope you like it!
Have you cleared it?  I'd be afraid of nitro eating the coating.
Are you considering a 2K poly?

James

Watershed said:
vansmack said:

That's funny, my first Warmoth was intended to be a beater as well.  I just slapped some Home Depot poly / stain mix on it and called it good enough.  I maybe gave the neck one wipe with a rub on poly.
I soon fell in love with it, and 9 years later haven't bought a production guitar since.

Looks awesome, hope you like it!
Have you cleared it?  I'd be afraid of nitro eating the coating.
Are you considering a 2K poly?

James

Thanks for the comments.  I have finished the coatings.  Not knowing much about finishes and reading lots of reviews, I ended up applying an acrylic lacquer.  I read many places that this does not yellow.  I tried some poly out on a few pieces of scrap and it yellowed instantly. 

I put about 13 THIN coats off the acrylic lacquer building up and sanding a little at a time.  I did a lot of testing on sample materials before applying.  So far, the finish looks nice and is hardening off fairly well.  I have it all put together, wired, and strung up.  Dropped it off with a local tech to refine the adjustments I had made.  I had a couple guys from the shop call today asking about Warmoth.  I only had the best things to say.  I am super pleased.
:cool01:

Man that came out fantastic... :headbang:  Are there any seems between the top and the back? And just curious, did you black out the recess for the floyd or leave it as is?

DangerousR6 said:
Man that came out fantastic... :headbang:  Are there any seems between the top and the back? And just curious, did you black out the recess for the floyd or leave it as is?

There are a few seams around the edge.  You can notice one across the bottom in the last pic I posted.  With the finish, you can't feel it but you can see a thin line.  Not enough to give me any regrets.  The decal guy actually wrapped the graphic under the floyd rose.  Doesn't show up well in the photo but there is color there.  On the back, I did black out the opening where the springs are.

I will probably post a pick over the weekend of the finish product with it strung up.  I have a little work to do on my volume knob.  All sounds great at full volume but when turned completely down, I still have a little sound.  Could this be a bad pot or bad craftsmanship?  Probably both.  I'm not that great at wiring.

Definitely came out NICE!  :icon_thumright:

About the volume issue, check the ground on the pot.

Back