5493963995_57e302a535.jpg

Soundclip Samples

http://www.mediafire.com/?ujo7djdfad81l

5102377089_774687ea20_z.jpg

Mockup

5459591616_9a99acc010_b.jpg

Guitar

Guitar Specs:

Swamp ash body, chambered, quilt maple top, blue burst front and back, pearloid binding.
Warmoth Pro / Compound Radius, Standard Thin.
Goncalo neck, Pau Ferro fingerboard, pearl diamond inlays, pearloid binding ,6105 frets.
Hot rails in neck, Vintage rails in middle, and P-rails in bridge (SSH).
5-Way switch setup for neck, neck/middle, middle, neck/bridge, bridge.
LR Baggs vintage trem/piezo bridge.
Schaller locking staggered tuners.
White Earvana nut 1 11/16.
Custom Designed and wired circuit, headstock decals, and  custom etched neck plate.

Controls:

Hot rails:  parallel, single coil, series wiring configuration with flip of a switch.
Vintage rails:  same capability as hot rails with switch that matches the 5-way position.
P-rails:  parallel, rails coil, P-90, series, controllable from two push pull tone knobs.
X-Bridge: Operates independently and has a separate tone control that fits its tone quality.
Master Tone:  Has capability for bypass, 0.022uF cap, and 0.042uF value for lower range.
Master Volume: Has high bypass capacitor (treble bleed).
Kill Switch:  The center position between X-Bridge and Pickup selector for use with both.
Phase Switch:  push – pull from volume knob to throw the hot rails out of phase with the other pickups it combines with.

Eventhough it is a vintage trem, I have the bridge sitting tight and flush with the body as if it were fixed.  If I made 25 cents for every time I used the trem, I would have no more than a dollar.  I still like to have the feature still, so I have at least one trem guitar.

This Stratocaster came from my ever evolving needs as a guitar player.  A Yamaha Pacifica was first my guitar sixteen years ago, and I fell in love with the Strat feel, very uninhibited for me.  The stock Pacifica had shortcommings that I would over the years, continuously modify, alter, and tweak the tone.  I was trained in electronics right before I started playing guitar, and I had been soldering years before that.  Over the years getting better at electronics, the guitar modifications were becoming more prominent and usefull.  I have always wanted a true Strat since day one, but that was very much out of my price range for most of those years.  After well over a year in the making, I now have a beautiful blue Strat that is an evolved inspiration of my first guitar.  Below is the latest modification phase the Yamaha went through before the neck warped and became useless.  Looking back at when I first gave up on the Yamaha, so much thought was put into making my dream guitar.

After having time evaluating and setting up the guitar I have found some features that I was unsure of, have worked out perfectly.  The X-Bridge used to come in at a lower level than the rest of the guitar, but bypassing volume brings the piezo back up to the same level.  The independent grease bucket tone circuit works good, and I don't have to readjust it when switching because it's independent.  The X-Bridge and the Magnetic pups also can be mixed together passively when the kill switch and tone bypass switch are in position.  I wasn't sure if it was going to make a ruckkus, like a panic switch or what , but it doesn't.  There is also an interesting effect of the coil selector on the vintage rails.  The only active pickup is the silver part, the black is a plastic dummy.  Just the high three strings are emphasized in this setting, nothing that you would want to do on accident, but useful on it's own or very usefull when mixed with other pickups.  I tried so many different strings to see what does the best for this guitar: nickel plated, nickel, or stainless steel plated.  It turns out the nickel plated allows the midrange to scream through without a hint of harshness, and makes the flexibility I intended work.  :rock-on:

5246016398_4f101b0a2f.jpg

5366187402_a837f32e8b_m.jpg

5493982663_91586ea58b_z.jpg

Phoenix Down is a bit different, but mostly a more flexible version of the previous modification.

5127961594_90362974b0_z.jpg

5252064834_7613181a15.jpg

5252065522_4ddcf42cca.jpg

5458984645_d96051a5ee.jpg

5459589820_b784edce59.jpg

5459594106_8a23a146cd_b.jpg

5458987061_7aa10bfb3f.jpg

5458988733_548e8713a1_b.jpg

5458989475_8357e7fbba.jpg

5492479229_5cd5a19d9e_z.jpg

5492479879_38ceed97a2_z.jpg

5493075806_2e19322953_z.jpg

5493077678_65d342ef61.jpg

5492483799_8b6b98bc15_z.jpg

Attachments

• single coil.mp3
    657.5 KB
  • Prails series.mp3
    727.8 KB
  • vintage rails.mp3
    1 MB
Well it certainly looks fantasic and I'm sure sounds good, but just glancing at that photo of the wiring is giving me a headache. Hat's off to you for pulling that off.

Will you need to update the operating system on that guitar perriodically?

swarfrat said:

Of course not, it uses WIFI to download it own updates. lol  :icon_thumright:

i'v said it before...love this guitar.

swarfrat said:

I dunno, I hope not, I feel like it has arrived at the point it needs to be at.  That may change several years down the road. It took fifteen years of wiring torture to get it to this point.  I figured if I got every single feature out of it I wouldn't be wanting more. :icon_biggrin:

Ever hear of a Trans Am, Mr Reynolds?  :laughing7:

burts_trans_am.jpg

I actually would have had my hands on a custom painted black w/ blue bird (normal is either black/gold, or grey/blue), but my pappy sold his when I was about 5 due to the high cost of insurance/lack of seats.

In all seriousity, great looking strat. The wiring is a little over the top for my taste (I'm single pup tele guy).

Schaweet, thanks for the compliments, and thanks for putting the Bandit on my thread.  I saw Smokie and the Bandit 2 when I was three years old in the theater, and I still remember that.  I do have a blue 2000 Firebird, V6, but my first guitar came way before that. :guitaristgif:  The wiring wasn't meant to be confusing to operate, but different settings would be more flexible in a studio or live situation.  The switches are well out of the range of being hit by accident, as the 5-way towers over them.  As you can see from the first guitar, I didn't place them very well and not lined up very well either.  In all honesty I was trying to get away with just three toggles lined up with the 5-way, but I couldn't get all the features in. The best thing about the new mod is that I can have all single coil settings too, and that sounds awesome. :icon_thumright:  The name fits since my first guitar took a dump, beyond physical repair, and now it has risen again more beautiful and better than ever.  Maybe I should of had a funeral pyre for the old one. :laughing7:

We've got a serious guitar of the month contender here. Obviously a lot of thought and work went into this guitar. I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

If we ever have a WJOTM (Wiring Job Of The Month), this guitar is a shoe in.  :icon_jokercolor:  Great guitar - color, neck, functionality, everything about it just rocks!

CrackedPepper said:
If we ever have a WJOTM (Wiring Job Of The Month), this guitar is a shoe in.  :icon_jokercolor:  Great guitar - color, neck, functionality, everything about it just rocks!

Thanks CrackedPepper, I tried to push every aspect of the guitar, and not compromise an inch of it, even the nut, and even used silver bearing solder.  As you can see, I likes the heat shrink, eventhough it is a miserable pain to use it on small wires in a confined space.  Heat shrink with solid solder connections will keep this thing problem free for a long time.  The excessive wiring forced me to try a different way of grounding, with the sweeping solid copper wire to the copper shield from one knob.  It was so easy to ground and was so noise free, I am using it on all future mods and builds.  I forgot to even mention that I experimented with a stereo feature as well, and I did away with it, it just wasn't worth all the trouble.  I don't even have equipment to implement stereo, so I concluded that it was redundant.  The pickups all work together so well, so why ruin it.  There won't be another build for a long while. :sad:  I got my three in great working order, and that's all I need for now. :rock-on:

Man, you did awesome work here.  I'm lucky to be able to wire a P-bass; forget the amazing job you did here.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
Man, you did awesome work here.  I'm lucky to be able to wire a P-bass; forget the amazing job you did here.

-Mark

Thanks man,  not to bust your balls or anything, but the wiring on this one came easy.  Designing and insuring switch positions and function... not so easy. :confused4:  It only took a three day period less than 5 hrs in total wiring.  I have pulled my hair in the past getting to this point.  The hardest part of wiring was to plan the order of wiring and pre-position parts so I didn't get screwed into a corner, of course while I was doing it.  The diagrams are drawn with MS Paint...low budget.  They don't show so well online as a JPEG, but when printed as the full bitmap, the white wires stand out and make a great guide for wiring. My dream job would be doing this for a living.

back2thefutre said:
We need audio clips

Si Si Senor.  The only problem is the guitar is still at the music shop getting a minor fret dressing, and should be expected to be done sometime before the week is over.  Correction, by this tues. :(  My wrist has been sprained, my throat's sore, the acoustics of the room...I know excuses excuses.  Now that the sunshine is back in Michigan, I might be able to get better pics minus the cat hair. :icon_tongue:  I don't know how I would even begin to try to demonstrate this beast with a few audio clips. :icon_scratch:

Just got her back today.  The tech said that everyone kept ogling and drooling over the guitar while he had it on the bench.  He said I was welcome to bring any future creations to him.  My wrist is a little better, and I am just getting over a bad cold or getting pneumonia, so I hope to reacquaint myself with the guitar and have some clips by tomorrow that will prob suck anyway. :guitaristgif:

Make that Bronchitis and severe respitory infection turning into Pneumonia.  How do you avoid paying heathcare for a full-time engineer?  You only work him 30 hours and call it a part-time position. :tard:

Two samples are done, the clean one is the Prails and Hotrails in single coil mode in a clean mod setting.
The second, dist, has the full P-rails in series with distortion, then switched to Neck/Bridge, then back to just the Bridge again.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ujo7djdfad81l

I apologize in advance for the repetitiveness of the tracks.  I was trying to keep it simple to demonstrate the sound and not mess up too much.  The drum machine gets a little old, but it keeps me somewhat in time.  I like the last part of the dist.mp3, and if you can get all the way to the end, you deserve a cookie.
More to come later

Back