The ONE thing I don't like about my Warmoth

juliancs

Where the neck attaches to the body - it's very thick there. The neckplate + body + neck makes playing up at the 17th+ fret pretty hard. I guess I'm not used to it yet....

Yea I've got a contoured heel - on a VIP. I guess the thing that got me was that my Ibanez had the screw that is closest to the high E string on the  "left" (by about the 17th fret), pushed in abit, so it was no longer a square there, so they could carve some away. IF that makes any sense. There was not that right angled corner there as you slid your hand up the neck. I guess the body + neck were much thinner as well. Just hard to grasp when doing a sweep or something  :laughing7:

Well, so you don't like the fender neck joint... You can let a luthier do the contored heel to you, but I would say you'd better don't do it... would need to completely mess the guitar... go playing it, someday you'll find a way to get where you were used to!

I'm kinda worried about this too. It's been many a year since I played a strat, I think I may have been spoiled by Ibanez's all access neck joint. I've got two Warmoth projects on the go and every time I have the money to get them finished a trip to the showcase usually puts pay to that. I really need to get some self control, but you know, the showcase.......and they're so pretty........someone else might buy it..........and crap.............like I needed another strat body.

I have 4 electric guitars currently, all with different neck joints.

- Fender Strat - Standard thick neck joint
- Warmoth Strat - Contoured heel
- Ibanez Jem - All access neck joint
- Washburn N4 - Stephens extended Cutaway.

Out of those four, the weirdest one is the N4.  It's one thing to have too much heel like the strat, it's another to have absolutely none at all.  I mean... none!!!  It took me a while to get used to it.  Anyway, I've found that if you play any guitar long enough you eventually get used to it and adjust your playing around it.  I love the contoured heel on my warmoth.  Sure it's not as low as the Ibanez, but it doesn't effect my playing at all.

erik

taez555 said:
but it doesn't effect my playing at all.

And probably the sound too... Even Paul Gilbert the "Master of the thinnest necks of the world" is now changing to original Ibanez (very near Fender Strat) heel... Next step is get a Fatback neck  :glasses9:

Although the Ibanez contoured heel is perhaps the most comfortable bolt-on heel on the planet, I don't believe they are very strong, due to the lack  of thickness of wood. I've lost count of the number of Ibanez contoured heels I have seen that were cracked (Jems and RGs). That's why I like ESP's design. It's comfortable, yet still super strong...

I have a LP and I can play on the upper frets OK. The body joins the neck at the 15th fret. You've got a guitar with adouble cut-away. The body doesn't get in the way of the neck until the 20th fret. What notes are you having trouble getting at? Ah forget it, I don't want to know.

juliancs said:
Yea I've got a contoured heel - on a VIP. I guess the thing that got me was that my Ibanez had the screw that is closest to the high E string on the  "left" (by about the 17th fret), pushed in abit, so it was no longer a square there, so they could carve some away. IF that makes any sense. There was not that right angled corner there as you slid your hand up the neck. I guess the body + neck were much thinner as well. Just hard to grasp when doing a sweep or something  :laughing7:

Err stop sweep picking...its not cool and does not get you chicks... :laughing7:

You'll get used to it I'm sure.  The big Fender style neck heel never really bothered me, although the regular Les Paul style makes it a little difficult to reach the upper frets.  I definitely agree that the Ibanez all-access joint is one of the easiest to get around on.  Does anyone know when they switched to that?  I've picked up older RG570 and RG550's that had neckplates, although the heel was contoured (similar to what Warmoth offers now).

Of course, nothing beats a neckthru instrument for access!

GoDrex said:
...Ah forget it, I don't want to know.
???

As I wrote, its where the neck joins onto the body, not where my hand hits the body sliding up the neck. So, the neck attaches at around the 15th fret, and so when playing notes from the 15th fret and upwards, my grip is a lot larger, since i have the body there as well...oh wait, you don't want to know.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get used to it. I don't want to go cutting away at the body, partly because tis all nicely finished, and partly because i want to keep the stability of the joint there.  :guitaristgif:

Back