The Gemini Sunset Stratocaster build

HTSMetal

So I've been wanting to try my hand at assembling a custom Stratocaster for a long time. I've been playing 15 years and just could never find a production Strat that had the specs that I wanted. I'd always loved browsing Warmoth's site and last summer, finally bit the bullet and ordered some stuff to build my first custom Strat.

Initially I thought about building a classic, vintage style Strat with a sunburst ash body and a CBS headstock maple neck. My fiance', however, asked me why I wanted to build an axe that looked like an off-the-rack guitar. Her logic prevailed and I decided to go with something a little flashier:

body_zpsnnks2hbn.jpg

It's a Warmoth Strat body in Magenta Burst finish. I've never seen a Strat with this finish before and was absolutely smitten by it.

I went with a super nice Warmoth birdseye maple neck with 6150 stainless steel frets and a clear gloss finish in 59 roundback profile:

birdseye_zps5qtwehui.jpg

headstock_zpsor5bueds.jpg

Here's the pile o' parts I decided on for the rest of the axe (Fender American Standard trem, vintage style Kluson tuners and Custom Shop '69 pickups)

pileoparts_zpsb1nhpk9p.jpg

So the build began. Almost everything went without a hitch, besides the tuner holes in the headstock which needed some very slight widening to fit the tuner bushings. I also had an issue with the neck/heel fitment -- I made sure everything was seated and aligned properly, but even with everything adjusted properly my strings were sitting on the fretboard. I had to max the saddle adjustment screws out in order to make the guitar remotely playable, and even then it was a buzzing mess as the action was way too low.

Solution? Shim at the front of the neck pocket. Didn't dare sand the heel or body, and a small shim did the trick! Now it plays like an absolute champ, and is the nicest axe I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Here's some completed pics:

IMG_5138_zps1qop4t7l.jpg

IMG_5137_zpsrzapvw8f.jpg

htsmetalwarmothstrat2_zpsymzvahts.jpg

htsmetalwarmothstrat1_zpste8dceh6.jpg

And here's a short demo of the Strat's clean sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDqZsa3yCIc

The build bug has gotten it's evil grip on me...here's a mockup of my next build, parts arriving any day now:

final_zpss9crclfm.jpg

Rock on!!!!

I think that's gotta be the first magenta burst I've seen. Very nice!

It's kinda sad, in a way. You'll have a tough time getting excited about what's on the wall at the local music stores from now on. A little lust/anticipation can be a Good Thing, but knowing what you can do yourself makes it hard to work up any decent level of envy  :icon_biggrin:

That looks great.  And I really like the neck.  Can't wait to see the next build.

I always liked this finish, yours is my favorite so far because the color is the same with not much burst on the edges.

Nice tone and playing on the clip, enjoy your guitar.

Cagey said:
I think that's gotta be the first magenta burst I've seen. Very nice!

It's kinda sad, in a way. You'll have a tough time getting excited about what's on the wall at the local music stores from now on. A little lust/anticipation can be a Good Thing, but knowing what you can do yourself makes it hard to work up any decent level of envy  :icon_biggrin:

You hit the nail on the head Cagey -- I haven't been excited by a production guitar since this first build. However, I've spent plenty of time on Warmoth dreaming about future projects...so it all evens out in the end!

Back