The bird has landed. I repeat. The bird has landed.

that's pretty boosh. I know they can't make an exact replica as it's unlicensed, but if you buy a firebird, you oughta be able to put tophats on it. I mean, it doesn't even really look right with those knob locations, you think they'd program them a little further away from the raised center

I always wondered if there would be problems with the knobs on the raised section birds, the holes always seemed a little close to me

RockStarNick said:
I've just emailed them with a picture, stating the problem. We'll see what the reply is.

My other option, that I just thought of, is "moving" the upper two holes away from the raised center ridge by 1/8".  I'm using washers and nuts to mount the pots, so that would cover the excess gap, not to mention the knob covering all that mess when it goes on.  The remaining "gap" can be filled so that the pot does not shift.

just order it either without the holes drilled and drill them yourself, or I think W will route any hole pattern you want for an up-charge??

B3Guy said:
RockStarNick said:
I've just emailed them with a picture, stating the problem. We'll see what the reply is.

My other option, that I just thought of, is "moving" the upper two holes away from the raised center ridge by 1/8".  I'm using washers and nuts to mount the pots, so that would cover the excess gap, not to mention the knob covering all that mess when it goes on.  The remaining "gap" can be filled so that the pot does not shift.

just order it either without the holes drilled and drill them yourself, or I think W will route any hole pattern you want for an up-charge??

No I dont think they do custom control options

Well, despite tons of folks telling me to "return it, return it, return it!!!", I decided to just fix it myself. I can't wait another 8 weeks for a new body.

Guys, here is the fix that I wound up doing.  Impatience got the best of me, and I fixed it myself.

Step 1: Measured, and "lowered" the holes 1/8" of an inch away from the "wall" of the raised center portion.
web.jpg

Step 2: Carefully made some wood, half-moon shaped pieces. Glued them in. This will secure the pot in it's new spot.
web.jpg

Step 3: Pot installed. The washer completely covers up the enlarged hole/plug.
Pot%20installed.jpg

Step 4: Knob installed. It now clears the wall great. Looks great. I'm happy again.
web.jpg

I'm still going to email Warmoth, because they need to know about this. I'm surprised that no one else has complained so far about this issue.

jay4321 said:
Thanks for the heads up on that though. Kind of a bummer
once again, I'm pretty sure you can order it sansholes if you so desire . . . then just drill your own holes (carefully), or have a luthier drill them if you're not confident.  :icon_thumright:

You don't need a luthier to drill some potholes any more than you need a brain surgeon to trim your fingernails.

Cagey said:
You don't need a luthier to drill some potholes any more than you need a brain surgeon to trim your fingernails.
I realize this, however . . . some folks just get scared to do anything to their wonderful bodies . . . (there's gotta be a joke in there somewhere)

Yes, I did. They were VERY cool about the whole situation, and very acommodating. I'm still baffled by all these interwebs stories about Warmoth's "bad" customer service. Everyone I've ever dealt with at Warmoth has been knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, and polite.  They've still got my vote!!!!

UPDATE:  The bird is done!!!!! Check the gallery forums for the completed build!!!!!!!

Black Dog said:
It looks to be set up just like my bird...

Good luck &  :rock-on:

DSCN1842.jpg

The control knobs on this Firebird - where did you get them, they look cool!

Cagey said:

Whaaat? so your sayin I can fire my brain surgeon and do that myself? Or should I take a class on fingernail clipping first? Maybe I can apply the same knowlege to my toenails and fire my proctologist too

The guitar looks good, very clever fix on the pot holes. not being a firebird guy, what are the normal knobs that go on a firebird? would those have worked? just curious

OzziePete said:
Black Dog said:
It looks to be set up just like my bird...

Good luck &  :rock-on:

DSCN1842.jpg

The control knobs on this Firebird - where did you get them, they look cool!

Yea, they are some of my favorite knobs.  They don't come out very clear in any of the pics, but here is a pic from the website.
They are from Singlecoil.com and come in two sizes; mine are the large.  They are available in chrome, nickle, black, and gold...

http://www.singlecoil.com/shop.html

SinglecoilcomKnobs.png

Man, those knobs are awesome.  Does the company have a US distributor ??

Unfortunately, they do not.  Singlecoil.com has them custom made just for them.    
After you pay shipping and such from Germany, they do end up being a bit pricy.
However, they do have really fast shipping.  I normally get my orders from them in 7 to 10 days.
I like em', so it was worth it to me...
:rock-on:

Blackdog, your Firebird still gives me a woody.  Where in the world did you find that custom pickguard and headstock plate?  If I ever get my current build done and get some spare money I would like to put a Firebird together, someday.  I was looking at Warmoth's Firebird stuff, but found it way harder to find good custom parts for a bird online to go with it.  I have found more Strat parts than you can shake a stick at, but not so much for the Firebird.

Black Dog said:
Unfortunately, they do not.  Singlecoil.com has them custom made just for them.    
After you pay shipping and such from Germany, they do end up being a bit pricy.
However, they do have really fast shipping.  I normally get my orders from them in 7 to 10 days.
I like em', so it was worth it to me...
:rock-on:

Duesenberg equips a very nearly identical knob on their guitars; their US distributor sells replacement parts.  See:  http://www.duesenbergusa.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=53&product_id=119
IMG_1774-500x500.jpg

(I'm showing the gold because the photos of other colors don't show the slot in the edge)

Good luck.

They're pretty pricey, too. Although, how often do you have to buy knobs? It's pretty much a one-time expense. And they are attractive little rascals. What's $20 or $30 bucks when you're down $800-$1,500 for an instrument?

Back