The Big G flexing muscles on designs for a measly $4,000...

Unwound G

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/gibson-dean-court-ruling

Please don't touch our Regal, Diamondback and Nomad bodies.

$4,000? That wouldn't even buy one of their guitars and all that.

Wonder how much all the lawyers cost? Did the defendants have to pay the legal expenses?  :sad1:

The article has an inaccuracy as it was $4000 per shape or model violated and applies in the US and of course Gibson were seeking more than that amount.

It falls short of course of what Gibson were seeking and I have no idea who is paying whose legal fees. But I think the fact that the trademarks have been upheld in Gibson's favour is the correct thing and sets a precedent which may be what they were really seeking.

stratamania said:
The article has an inaccuracy as it was $4000 per shape or model violated and applies in the US and of course Gibson were seeking more than that amount.

It falls short of course of what Gibson were seeking and I have no idea who is paying whose legal fees. But I think the fact that the trademarks have been upheld in Gibson's favour is the correct thing and sets a precedent which may be what they were really seeking.
What I find unconscionable in the court's decision is Gibson taking forty-three years(!) to try to take this to court. Dean began making the V shape in 1977 with no squawks from G that whole time. I also find it unconscionable that the court awarded Gibby that win at all.
As a writer, copyright/intellectual property is a big thing and if you're not right on top of it, you can and will lose your rights in far less time than some forty-three years that Gibby sat on their tushes and did nothing. this whole "Counterfeit" business is a bunch of horse pucky, if you can't tell the difference between a Gibby and a Dean, you're probably not a guitar player. Somebody please point out the d00d that bought a Dean, thinking he bought a Gibby V. My next V will be body and neck from Precision Guitar Kits, put together with the best hardware. No more Gibbys for me.
My guess is Gibby will now take on the other manufacturers for whatever they can try to claim is copy or counterfeit.

All personal opinions. YMMV. No cash value. One coupon per person a day.

@raystankewitz of course members will have personal opinions and form their own views. Though I am sure the courts are better qualified to interpret trademark laws, which is different than IP and copyright.

Back