The best Strat

Because of where he lives, this whole issue may be more about what he's able to get vs. what he wants. Import restrictions, exchange rates, economic considerations, available stock, etc. all conspire to control what you can realistically do. Here in the States, we're somewhat spoiled, but even here we're starting to see funny things happen because of treaties, credit availability, the value of the dollar, etc.

@ Doughboy and Orpheo: I don't want buy or build another guitar (I've already ten electric guitars).
This is only a *pur parler*. 
Repetita juvant: I asked your taste without personal interest. Just to know and talk a little bit.
It's not possible ? Ok, I don't know...sorry sorry sorry ok?
There are extremists who want to talk only about Warmoth here? I don't think, but I can make an error of course.
But, don't try to see a ocean in the puddle, please.

Bruno said:
@ Doughboy and Orpheo: I don't want buy or build another guitar (I've already ten electric guitars).
This is only a *pur parler*. 
Repetita juvant: I asked your taste without personal interest. Just to know and talk a little bit.
It's not possible ? Ok, I don't know...sorry sorry sorry ok?
There are extremists who want to talk only about Warmoth here? I don't think, but I can make an error of course.
But, don't try to see a ocean in the puddle, please.

no, I get your point. but its like going to a church and asking 'if you had to choose between YHWH, allah, buddah and krishna, which one would you choose?' no one would give a serious answer, cause they already have their faith.

Lets put it another way. I have to choose something I like out of something I don't like... thats hard, man ;)

Tonar8353 said:
You ask a difficult question because I love em all; BUT, it is hard to beat the original concept. Classic beauty and lines that show off the glory of a great piece of swamp ash. 1954 2-Tone on swamp ash.

A pearl  :icon_smile:
My favorite is a '65 STRATOCASTER, Sunburst.
That:
Fe949.JPG
Fe949e.JPG

Fe949a.JPG
Fe949c.JPG
Fe949n.JPG
Fe949p.JPG

Orpheo said:
no, I get your point. but its like going to a church and asking 'if you had to choose between YHWH, allah, buddah and krishna, which one would you choose?' no one would give a serious answer, cause they already have their faith.

So Mr. Tonar is not serious?
Come on...
Simply we have different points of view.
I do not think there is nothing wrong
:icon_thumright:

No, Tonar is serious. But, he's also expressing a subjective point of view. If somebody gave me a '54 Strat, I'd be excited, but only because I know I could get a lot of money for it on eBay. I'd never want one for myself. I don't care for the way they play. Same with any other model/year/option set from Fender. But, some people like them. Clearly, Tonar does, and I'm quite confident he's not alone. Fender wouldn't be as large and popular as they are if that were not true.

So, which is my favorite? The one that returns the most money in an eBay sale. Then, I take the money and build a Warmoth or two and save the rest for later. Booze and hookers ain't cheap <grin>

But, I do sincerely love an optimized Strat. In my opinion, there's no better electric guitar design. I just don't particularly care for how Fender does it, even though it's their design.

I don't want have every guitar that I love. It would be too much for me. But, I can dream...
Dreams are beautiful for this. Not necessarily have to realize all
It's simple  :glasses9:

Cagey said:
No, Tonar is serious. But, he's also expressing a subjective point of view. If somebody gave me a '54 Strat, I'd be excited, but only because I know I could get a lot of money for it on eBay. I'd never want one for myself. I don't care for the way they play. Same with any other model/year/option set from Fender. But, some people like them. Clearly, Tonar does, and I'm quite confident he's not alone. Fender wouldn't be as large and popular as they are if that were not true.

So, which is my favorite? The one that returns the most money in an eBay sale. Then, I take the money and build a Warmoth or two and save the rest for later. Booze and hookers ain't cheap <grin>

But, I do sincerely love an optimized Strat. In my opinion, there's no better electric guitar design. I just don't particularly care for how Fender does it, even though it's their design.

Yep. Take a Strat, fix every design shortcoming it has, and you have the perfect electric guitar.

As to the O.P., I fell in-love with the appearance of the Strat when I was a kid, but the old ones really are junk. They go for stupid money because of all the collector/vintage hype. If you are set on buying production line Strat, the best is the American Deluxe. If that's out of your price range, the American Standard (don't remember what they're calling it these days) is the right choice. Anything else is a waste of money.

Of course any production guitar I buy is gonna get new pickups installed.

I know there is a language difference that sometimes makes it hard for us Americans to communicate with people who speak other languages (but to be fair, you speak much better English than I speak Italian, so you're not doing that bad.)  You mention that the exchange rate between the Euro and the US dollar is dashing your hopes of getting a Warmoth, so you are asking for opinions on people's favorite Fender Strats.  But you later seem to mention that you are asking just as a matter of conversation to talk about people's favorite Strats.

If you are not considering a Warmoth because of the exchange rate, I'd like to point out that Fender, as an American company, should be having the same price difficulties as the Warmoth.  One possible solution to that problem may be to set your sights on a lower model of Strat in the Fender line.  But then again, you are asking about people's favorite Strats, which implies you are asking about the more expensive models.

If price is the driving factor, Max mentioned the Squire series.  I think he means the Squire Classic Vibe series.  I don't know about the Strats, but the Squire Classic Vibe Telecasters are getting a lot of favorable reviews, and they are really very inexpensive.  I played one (Telecaster) at a music store and I was pretty impressed with the quality for the price.  You do get a lot for your money with the Classic Vibe Squires, but the quality is definitely not as good as some of the more expensive American made Fenders, and definitely not as good as my Warmoth Telecaster.  But for an inexpensive guitar, its tough to beat the Squire Classic Vibe series.

If you are asking just as a matter of conversation to talk about the various Fenders, I am not as well versed in all the various Fender models that they have now.  Not to be redundant, but I don't pay as much attention to the current Fender models because I am more concerned with building Warmoths at this point.

But in the past I had a 1968 Fender Telecaster when I was growing up, and that remains one of my favorite guitar memories.  But thats a Tele, and you are asking about Strats.  Well, my next door neighbor had a late 50's Stratocaster, I think it was a 1958 neck on a 1959 body.  It was a custom color black with a maple fretboard.  That remains my favorite Strat because I played it so much growing up.  Sadly neither of us still have those wonderful guitars we were blessed with as kids.

I wish you good luck in finding the right Strat for you, whether it be a Fender or a Warmoth.

If that's the case then my first reply probably seemed out of line and I apologize.  :sad:  Thought you were asking cause you were thinking of buying a Fender Strat, not just to get a conversation going about Strats. 

Street Avenger said:
Yep. Take a Strat, fix every design shortcoming it has, and you have the perfect electric guitar.

Yep!

58lpcus.jpg

(there was no way I could resist this post :toothy12: - please carry on!)

Nightclub Dwight said:
I know there is a language difference that sometimes makes it hard for us Americans to communicate with people who speak other languages (but to be fair, you speak much better English than I speak Italian, so you're not doing that bad.)  You mention that the exchange rate between the Euro and the US dollar is dashing your hopes of getting a Warmoth, so you are asking for opinions on people's favorite Fender Strats.  But you later seem to mention that you are asking just as a matter of conversation to talk about people's favorite Strats.

The exchange is a pretext. Better: is the tip of the iceberg,
Obviously when things go bad, very bad, I don't want spending money on guitars or other hobbies.
I would be an irresponsible person. Then, everything will work out for the best... I will buy other guitars, another Warmoth, of course!
So I thought *ok, I don't want to buy anything now, but I can play with my friends (first mistake is not it?) and ask you what's your favorite Fender Strat, if you have it*.
I could write Gibson, Grosh, Warmoth or whatever you want, this is not the point. The point it's simple: this is a fun game and nothing more ..
Unfortunately, I feel resentment and aggression on the part of someone.
I don't understand.
Really I don't understand but I guess it's my mistake. I thought that even if this is a Warmoth forum I could also talk about other brands. Ok my big mistake.
So, I'm sorry and I apologize myself again, again again (but I hope for the last time...)

Peace :p

My only Strat (at the moment) has almost no qualities I'd choose for myself - MiM, Midnight Wine finish, 6-point Tremolo (I wound up putting 5 springs in it, lol), a Maple/Maple neck, and I absolutely love it.  A friend sold it to me at an insanely cheap "friend price," and I wound up putting EMGs in it and getting some black dome knobs and a proper setup, and it sings.  I don't necessarily cater to MIA Strats since electronics and hardware are so easy to swap - it's really about the neck IMO, and the MIM has a great one.

If I'm being completely honest, the Fender name being on the headstock *is* worth something to me; I'd have a really hard time, silly or not, playing a guitar with Squier on it, but I know the new Vintage Modifieds are supposed to be great, and I'd consider them a contender if I really needed a specific guitar in a pinch, especially given my currently laughable amount of savings.

If we're talking specific better-known Strats, John Frusciante's '62 is awesome (classic 3-tone burst, wear from actual playing):

fruspedalsatslane8cv.jpg

I love the look of Bill Corgan's Strats, too:

billykorgan.jpg

A lot of my favorite Strat players (Dave Gilmour, Jeff Beck, The Edge) don't really have a specific Strat I love or find all that unique.

IMHO the best Fender Strat 'for the money' is a Jimmie Vaughan Strat.  All American parts (even though it is assembled in Mexico).  Has the Clapton V one-piece maple neck and lots of punch in the Tex-Mex pups.  For about $550US you can't go wrong.  Mine is white but I believe that there is a burst one as well.

I have two Strats, a MIM and a Highway One. The H1 is my favorite between the two, but the MIM is no slouch. I paid just under $600 for both combined... even if I mod/change anything, they're still a great value at the price. I doubt I would ever consider buying any of their USA models, I'd just customize one of these cheaper models. Or just build a Warmoth instead.  :headbang:

Back