Texas Tea

Tonar8352

That's right; Black Gold!!
I have done several gold finishes over the years and generally use black as a base coat for the gold powder. The gold has to be layered to build the opacity needed to bury the black and I can't tell you how many times I wished I could shoot clear after the black received it's first dusting of gold powder. Well I took care of that by doing one for myself. So this is what I did to produce my version of Black Gold.
Vintage style alder Strat body sealed with clear.
IMG_9905_zpsrw0qjeef.jpg

2 coats of gloss black lacquer.
IMG_9907_zpscifiutvo.jpg

Level sanded with 320 abrasive.
IMG_9909_zpsrka8k2lc.jpg

Dusted with gold powder.
IMG_9910_zpsxi5kst9x.jpg

This is as close as I can get to getting a picture that represents what it looks like after the clear is shot on.
IMG_9913_zpsxk0x4j3n.jpg

Here is full body shot but I really need to figure out a way to get a good shot of what it really looks like because it looks unbelievable!!
IMG_9911_zpssycow4zy.jpg

Oh my.  That's quite lovely.

Do you have a dedicated gun for powder?  I recall you opining elsewhere that you prefer not to shoot the stuff because it never fully cleans up.

Bagman, you remember well. I do not spray powder out of my guns but I do use aerosol. This is the ReRanch Les Paul Original Gold.

Well that explains it.

I take out the screens in my guns when I use powder.  Always run a few ounces of pure lacquer thinner usually cleans it all up. 

Tonar, rattle can? Glad I don't have any money riding on a wager on that one.

Love it  :headbang:

Looks great  :eek:

Tonar you might need to do a video moving around it, to show the real effect, it's like the Metallic or Harlequin colours.
I have a Metallic Tobacco Burst and it's hard to show the real effect of it in a pic.

Great work as usual  :icon_thumright:

I am glad to see Tonar experimenting with this finish.  As anyone who know me I am a HUGE fan of flake and have used it as a major part of my finishes.  But even subtle hints make the difference.  This is a simple red to dark red burst.  The flake adds so much.

That is a really, really cool and beautiful :glasses9: finish Tonar!
Cannot wait to see her complete.
Keep the picks a rollin' and  :rock-on:

Here she is finished and assembled. This thing is really hard to get good pictures of so this is the best I could do.
This is a nice shot of the neck.
IMG_9923_zpscrxprna8.jpg

Doug's work attached to the body. Great job Doug.
IMG_9921_zpskhcf7qsy.jpg

Full rear view.
IMG_9920_zps98hzwnyq.jpg

IMG_9918_zpsg77jcwrr.jpg

This is about as close a representation of what the color looks like.
IMG_9914_zpszzwln0j2.jpg

Thank you Greg, that is one stunning strat...The neck fits perfectly with that color.. :guitarplayer2:

Looks great.  Love the neck too. Flake is so hard to capture.  I am sure the photos do not do it justice...

Back