Tequilacaster Guitar (And Name...) In Progress

JaySwear

so since i'm starting to order and gather parts i figured i'd move this one from "out of the box" to "work in progress."

Body (here):
5170172758_e1ff872acd.jpg
5169571139_f91690f943.jpg

5169570649_c337d874a2.jpg
5169570321_45b5c2c60c.jpg

Neck (on the way):
VMT2369a.jpg

VMT2369b.jpg

AND

Pickups (just ordered :icon_biggrin:):
5204884060_832bfb08ba_b.jpg

3ma3o83l75V45U25X5aacfafc372d41721375.jpg

Rio Grande Dirty Harry set! it's supposed to mirror a P-90 sound. i'm a little worried about the 60 cycle hum i'll get from the set. that's one thing i really hated about my last tele. but i've heard these are some of the quietest true singlecoils out there. guess i'll find out! i'm also not a big fan of the uncovered neck pickup. it's a little weird, but if it sounds good i think i'll get over the look pretty quickly. it'll also have a dimarzio virtual solo stacked singlecoil in the middle position and hopefully a 4 way telecaster switch for versatility's sake.

my latest mock-up:
5204268679_8cff37f62e_b.jpg

So you are the one who bought that body

Nice to have it routed for the p90s though, gives you flexability

Max said:
JaySwear said:
Rio Grande Dirty Harry set! it's supposed to mirror a P-90 sound.
You bastard! That was MY thing!

really?! i had no idea :icon_biggrin: i didn't know what pickups you were using. guess i do now!

and the more Dirty Harry's the better, i always say.

JaySwear said:
Max said:
JaySwear said:
Rio Grande Dirty Harry set! it's supposed to mirror a P-90 sound.
You bastard! That was MY thing!

really?! i had no idea :icon_biggrin: i didn't know what pickups you were using. guess i do now!

and the more Dirty Harry's the better, i always say.
I would say the Roadhouse equivalent of those pickups, but... mine're probably better  :icon_jokercolor:
Dirty Harrys were going to be the pickups I used, though.

I have a set of Vintage Tallboys in my Tele...and they're about as noisy as any other single coil pickup. Unfortunately, the bridge one doesn't seem to be wax potted very well or at all, at higher volumes or gains, it can really start squealing like a stuck pig!  Also have the four way switch, but don't use the "middle in series" sound much. The neck pickup sounds excellent - you'll soon get over any concerns you have that it doesn't look vintage...hey, did Danny Gatton's Tele look vintage with those big Bardens in it?

Jay, that body is INCREDIBLE.  You are going to have an exquisite guitar when you're done. 

jalane said:
Jay, that body is INCREDIBLE.  You are going to have an exquisite guitar when you're done. 

thanks man! i hope this build puts my telecaster GAS into remission for a little while. the thing i'm most worried about is the neck, but i really liked the thick neck on my gibson BFG when i had that. need to figure out a good headstock logo for it. i'm thinking i'll go to the guy who did my warmoth logo for my telecaster deluxe. that way they can have the same faux logo on both of them

neck is here! warmoth's pictures really didn't do the fretboard justice, and i don't know if my camera will really capture it either. i didn't expect it to have so much of a pretty grain pattern. it's also not NEARLY as thick as i had though (it's a fatback) but everything feels different with strings on it so no judgement passed there yet. anyway pictures coming soon!

i know nobody on this site gets excited about anything having to do with maple, but i love this thing! a couple pictures.

5244267741_e71710402c.jpg
5244267981_66a5957d14.jpg
5244866140_b481f3cc2e.jpg
5244867008_18517fb7ef.jpg

5244269319_fdae71b6ef.jpg
5244867572_021e0b9023.jpg

Nice combo there

and , I love rosewood on maple

plus, custom is all about you, go for it.

Nothing at all wrong with Rosewood on Maple, especially from someone like Warmoth. That's a nice piece, and it matches up well with the body. That's gonna be one kick-ass guitar.

I like a quartersawn maple neck better than just about anything else I've played, but I don't have much experience with the rosewood and other exotic solid necks.  I personally am a tad envious of you for nabbing that Tele's neck.  Sweet!

everybody who's seen my telecaster deluxe knows i like to advertise warmoth on my headstock. i loved the font of the logo that was on my deluxe, and since i had 2 i just cut off the "telecaster deluxe" from the end. i really like how this looks! i debated about as long as i could (both before i put the decal on, and while it was still wet and i could slide it around) over where exactly on the headstock it should go. it's tough because you can't much go by fender's placement. there are about as many different spots on a telecaster's headstock for the logo as there are telecaster models out there. but i like it! still plenty of room for the string tree should i need one.

5320456427_953eb6e3a4_z.jpg

5320455913_e51a90efff_z.jpg

now for the finishing part...

the boring old Gotoh Standard Telecaster bridge. i was set on a 3 barrel bridge for this guitar, but realized i was so worried about getting intonation as close as i could that i should just go with a 6 saddle design. i'm excited though, because i think the way i normally strum i would end up hitting the raised sides of a traditional telecaster bridge

TB1C.jpg

You're making the right choice. Traditional Tele bridges suck. Always have. It was bad a design from day one, intended to be simple and inexpensive to build and install, as the original Tele was a "working man's guitar" (read: cheap). The only reason anyone continues to make those crappy bridges is there's a contingent out there who can't or won't think for themselves and will only buy the traditional hardware out of fear of doing something wrong. Doesn't make any sense to walk away from money, so the hardware folks keep making the junk available.

I am a total spanner!! 
I seen the picture and said to myself, "he has 4 telecaster bodies?  :eek: "  :doh:

Back