Telecaster Upper Bout Toggle

Undeadclyde

Hey guys, I'm new here but long time reader and have a Warmoth build under my belt and wanted to start another. Last time I built a Jag and wanted to go a little less complicated and build a tele. The only issue is I wanted to put an LP style toggle on it but still have a top routed telecaster. Is Warmoth able to do this and if so how do go about doing it? I appreciate any input.

Clyde

You gotta peruse the Tele variations on the warmoth website.  Are you talking about a Tele deluxe? 

I have only seen that variation on rear rout tele bodies. Though a Tele Deluxe uses an LP style toggle and is top routed.

rick2 said:
You gotta peruse the Tele variations on the warmoth website.  Are you talking about a Tele deluxe?
No I want a normal telecaster but with the rear route for a LP style toggle. Sorry should have been more clear.
Clyde

If they’ll do it, it’s an off-menu item and you’ll have to call to ask about it and place the order.

But, since I can’t think of an Tele body where they rear route it, I doubt they offer it.

Undeadclyde said:
DuckBaloo said:
If they’ll do it, it’s an off-menu item and you’ll have to call to ask about it

I figured I’d have to make a call, thank you for the info!

Go to this builder and choose rear rout. It is available there.

https://warmoth.com/index.php/telecaster-body-builder

stratamania said:
Undeadclyde said:
DuckBaloo said:

and rear routing won't stop you from putting a tele pickguard and control plate on top  :)

stratamania said:
Undeadclyde said:
DuckBaloo said:

Only works for rear rout, OP still wants to have a top rout..

Mayfly said:
stratamania said:
Undeadclyde said:
DuckBaloo said:

and rear routing won't stop you from putting a tele pickguard and control plate on top  :)
Morgan%20Freeman%20meme%20hes%20right%20you%20know_zpscbisqinx.jpg

I'm not sure the rear route control cavity lines up with the Tele plate. Otherwise it works just fine. Teles don't have swimming pools.

DangerousR6 said:
Mayfly said:
stratamania said:
Undeadclyde said:
DuckBaloo said:

Morgan%20Freeman%20meme%20hes%20right%20you%20know_zpscbisqinx.jpg

Perzactly...

Sorry - they do line up. I was misrembering - some crazy notion I had wasn't going to work because of that, but I have no clue what it was now.

I guess if all else fails I do the rear route. I plan on buying the body next month so I’ll call it in and see if they can do it the way I want.

You can always drill it yourself. An LP toggle goes all the way through. Drill a pilot hole completely through the body, smaller than the switch hole. Just big enough to keep the forstner bit on track. Then forstner from the back to the depth of the cover plate. Then a smaller forstner to make the hole for the switch body. Then complete the hole from the top sized  to the barrel of the switch.

So you need two forstners and two drill bits. But you can do it all with a drill rather than a router

I'm pretty sure the reason they won't offer it with a Tele top-route is they won't have the angle to drill the wire channel. On solid guitars, wire channels are usually drilled all the way through from the jack route with a long "airplane" drill bit (usually a larger diameter since you have to fit as many as 4 wires through). And, on the Tele, the route doesn't line up with the upper bout. This will make even DIY difficult.
full

With the larger rear-routed cavity, the jack gets moved closer to the tail gets a completely different angle that lines up with the upper bout. This allows Warmoth to use it the same route for Tele, Strat and LP-style control layouts. (caviet, may not be a Warmoth body shown, I'm not sure of the origin).
xrayo-TH.jpg

Lamintaed tops, like on a Les paul, make it easier. Builders route out the control cavity and the wire channels before they glue on the top.
MG_5750-web.jpg

But Gibson doesn't have this option on guitars without a top, which is why LP Specials and most other Gibson solid bodies don't have a top switch.

swarfrat said:
You can always drill it yourself. An LP toggle goes all the way through. Drill a pilot hole completely through the body, smaller than the switch hole. Just big enough to keep the forstner bit on track. Then forstner from the back to the depth of the cover plate. Then a smaller forstner to make the hole for the switch body. Then complete the hole from the top sized  to the barrel of the switch.

So you need two forstners and two drill bits. But you can do it all with a drill rather than a router

That’s a pretty good idea, I may do that in case I get the body and change my mind.

DuckBaloo said:
I'm pretty sure the reason they won't offer it with a Tele top-route is they won't have the angle to drill the wire channel. and most other Gibson solid bodies don't have a top switch.

It should be possible to drill from the neck pickup cavity to the position of the toggle switch. Granted it would not be continuous to a line from a top rout control cavity but it would still work as a possible mod.

stratamania said:
It should be possible to drill from the neck pickup cavity to the position of the toggle switch. Granted it would not be continuous to a line from a top rout control cavity but it would still work as a possible mod.

I'm doing the math and it may not be that easy. We looking a distance of around 3" (8 cm) or so through a 1.75" body, while clearing the edge of the PU route and still drilling an entry point low enough that the wires stay under the PU. I think it can be done in some cases, but would depend on the PU route shape...a universal Tele route or a middle HB route may be best.

Best bet may still be to go in through the jack hole, but would a better tool than a hand drill.

DuckBaloo said:
stratamania said:

I'm doing the math and it may not be that easy. We looking a distance of around 3" (8 cm) or so through a 1.75" body, while clearing the edge of the PU route and still drilling an entry point low enough that the wires stay under the PU. I think it can be done in some cases, but would depend on the PU route shape...a universal Tele route or a middle HB route may be best.

Best bet may still be to go in through the jack hole, but would a better tool than a hand drill.

Yes probably not easy but possible. It certainly would require the drill being at the correct geometry whether starting at the toggle switch "hole" or the pickup rout. But Warmoth offer it on a solid Tele body with rear routs so they must be doing something like that.

Back