Telecaster Thinline 72 Tiger Eye (completed)

justinianus

Thought I'd post some pictures of my first build (first post as well, so I hope this works)

I've been customizing my guitars for over 10 years now, but this is my first build from scratch, and it turned out great!

Here are the specs:

Warmoth Vintage Modern Stratocaster neck
One piece Flame Maple
Standard Thin shape
Clear Gloss Finish
SS6150 (Stainless) frets
GraphTech Black TUSQ XL nut
Black dot inlays
Chrome Fender Locking tuners (with brass bushings)

Warmoth Telecaster Thinline 72 body
Flame Maple Top
Mahogany body
Tiger Eye dye finish
Tobacco Burst back finish
Natural Masked binding
Gotoh massive steel block vintage tremolo with PRS nickel/brass saddles

Warmoth custom Cream Pearl Thinline 72 Pickguard
Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker bridge pickup
Seymour Duncan P-rails neck pickup (wired rails to middle and P90 to neck)
CRL Stratocaster 5 way switch
2 Fender TBX tone pots, one wired to neck and one to middle
Push/Push Volume pot with trebble bleed
3 way mini toggle switch for bridge s/s/p wiring
2 way mini toggle switch for 7 sound mod + bridge tone
Amber speed knobs
US tele input
Schaller strap locks

The wiring is something I designed myself, and I'm very pleased with the sounds it gives me. I basically used a standard stratocaster 5 way switch wiring with some extra mods. I use the P-rails as two seperate pickups with a push/push pot to get all 4 sound options (Rails (middle)/P90 (neck)/humbucking series/humbucking parallel (stratocaster *2 in between like sound)).
I wired the bridge pickup to a mini toggle switch to be able to switch between humbucker series/single coil/parallel wiring. The *4 position gives me bridge+rails pickups, and the 2 way toggle switch adds the p90 to the selected pickup and also adds the neck tone pot to the bridge (these options give a more Telecaster like sound). The bridge pickup doesn't have a tone pot, so it gives a ''hot'' output (around 16k) and a very Les Paul like sound. The rails pickup has a very Stratocaster like sound with the TBX control on 10 for ''boosted'' trebble (it's passive so it's more of a change in focus than an actual boost, allthough it does give it about 0.5k extra output). The P90 has the typical ''hot'' singlecoil sound, with the TBX control on 10 for extra clarity it's a bit like a boosted stratocaster neck pickup (I like it a lot! and couldn't do without the TBX anymore).

Welcome aboard, and what an entrance!

Nice work.  She's a lovely axe. You should be proud of your work.  May she bring you many happy hours of bringin' the noise.

peace

Bagman

Bagman67 said:
Welcome aboard, and what an entrance!

Speaking of entrances, that's quite the user name ya got there!  Wow. :icon_jokercolor:

Again, welcome, and really nice first build! -Beautiful! It will be the first of many, if the bug has gotten a hold of ya like it has us.  :icon_thumright:

Whoa, now that is a good looking tele.

Great job on making a lot of knobs and switches look very tasteful.

Welcome - and beautiful, beautiful guitar  :kewlpics:    (But please get rid of the Fender headstock decal...)

Really. Why give Fender credit for making such a beautiful instrument? They wish they made Teles that gorgeous!

What a body finish, so rich!
Now...if only all of the street lamps and car lights were not so bright, maybe the aperture of our eyes would open up to allow more light in... :cool01:

guitartom said:
I'd love to see your wiring diagram.

I'll try to make one in the next few weeks. It's all in my head, but it's still quite complicated to get on paper.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Wow, what a build. It is truly gorgeous, and the pickup wiring looks interesting.

Where did you get this metallic logo? It looks really sharp.

croquet hoop said:
Wow, what a build. It is truly gorgeous, and the pickup wiring looks interesting.

Where did you get this metallic logo? It looks really sharp.

Thanks, I got the logo from this site:

http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/default/thin-fender-logo-headstock-transfer-sticker-silver.html

Some might like it, some might not... I do though, I think the headstock looks odd without the logo, and unfortunately I don't think the warmoth logo suits this guitar well. And to be honest, the original design of this guitar is by Fender, I just customized it, so I don't mind giving them some credit.

Thanks for the link! Yeah, putting a Fender logo is a personal choice, I don't think there's much to be said against it.

Back