Telecaster shoreline gold custom build

Rgand said:
What a fine combination that neck and body make. This will be a fine guitar.

thanks!  :icon_thumright:

Since the video I also choose and ordered a set of pickups.

Initially I wanted a set with a wide range humbucker neck, a la "custom 72"

But instead  I went with a "classic" S/H set from Bare Knuckle, Tim (the owner) was very helpful!

I choose a Mule in the neck, open cream bobbins with gold pole screws
https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/the-mule#

...And a flat 50 in the bridge as suggested by Tim as well:
https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/tele/blackguard-tele-r-series-flat-50

And for the members willing to do a relic themselves and get a line checking in the finish I've got some information  :icon_thumright:  (not tried that myself... I paid MJT to do it for me  :icon_biggrin:)

You need to use nitro from primer to finish! After you've done the last nitro coat (and the eventual polishing), you let it dry for up to 3-4 days and then put it... In the freezer! for at least 24 hours and "poof" you've got line checking!

that's what a guy in a french lefty forum told us.
Here is a link to the thread if you've got a translator it may help (and I'm willing to help if needed  :) )

https://www.riffgauche.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16730#

That's true on that type of nitro line checking.

One of my guitars had wear and tear but no checking, then I had to do a move during which it started snowing badly. The guitar although in its case was in the back of the van for about 30 hours or so. Once it was brought inside even though left in its case when it was taken out a week or so later there it was line checking.

the BKP set arrived  :blob7:

The Mule humbucker and flat 50 single coil  :glasses9: ...

But I forgot a tiny detail  :icon_scratch:

I had the time to forget that I asked warmoth to cut the neck pickguard for a wide range humbucker  :doh:
So I need to order a new one but it got me thinking... what other color would you see on this one?

(I was thinking maybe a wenge/other wood pickguard... but I am open to any suggestion, solid colors included)

let me know what you think  :icon_thumright:

Nice!

Doing two at once, both with backwards bridge routes,  I'm not even sure what's frontwards or backwards any more. At first I was like - a reverse bridge route too! No, it's just a "normal" lefty.

Celtikaos said:
... what other color would you see on this one?

(I was thinking maybe a wenge/other wood pickguard... but I am open to any suggestion, solid colors included)

As much as I like the idea I rarely like wood guards. For shoreline gold I'd choose a black (bwb) f-hole tele pickguard, I prefer the smaller shape because it doesn't hide so much of the body. For the HB I'd go with brushed nickel with gold screws.

RRPqoZK.jpg

Logrinn said:
I like the looks of those humbuckers

Me too. Unlike raw nickel that looks aged (or dirty), brushed nickel looks classy. It has the same look as the front of HiFi components.

Kostas said:
As much as I like the idea I rarely like wood guards.

I'm with you. Always sounds like a good idea, rarely looks good. Plus, they won't take any abuse, which is the whole purpose of the 'guard in the first place. If you want torn-up wood, just go without a 'guard altogether.

I like the gold screws on the pickups. that will do nicely with the gold body. I can't say a wooden guard would be all that nice on it. But then, I'm not a big fan of wood for pickguards.

thank you all for your ideas

I will keep the humbucker with no cover as I choose them and had them made exactly like this  :)
(the cream to match the dots on the neck and the gold screw for the body

Regarding the pickguard, after thinking hard about this, I'm down to 3 choices:

brushed gold aluminium
cream
satin brown or printed "wood"

I'll think about it a few more days before pulling the trigger

As most custom pickguards are made in the USA and that the shipping is expensive to the EU (40 to a 100$ for a piece of plastic... :tard: :-\ ) I settled for what was readily available.

All I could find was black, white and mint green so I picked mint green.
I think that if the color is faithful to this image it's gonna be fine

F29HTE.png

Tele pickguards are a known quantity; the design has been around since forever. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Looks good to me.

In case you haven't already thought of it, and for the benefit of anyone else looking on, don't drill any pilot holes until you have the control plate and the pickguard both dry-fitted and taped down in what will become their permanent locations.  This will save a lot of swearing when you realize there's an unwanted gap or overlap between the parts.

HTH, HAND.

Bagman

Thanks for the heads up Bagman67 but for this one I will have a professional set it up as I've never done it before and had some money invested in this project.

I'm planning to do it myslef on my next project so I'll keep your advice in mind  :icon_thumright:

I went to a local guitar tech yesterday and these parts should be a guitar at the end of next week!  :guitarplayer2:

Back