telecaster - forearm contour

>No offense, but this is a bit weird. It's hyper-critical

hey i'm sure that in a few days i wont even be noticing the contour. and i will enjoy it.

but that doesn't mean that the design can't be improved. this is just an effort to see if it can be improved. that is all.

It would look better painted a sold color. But then again so would most of the guitars I see around here. :laughing7:

GoDrex said:
It would look better painted a sold color. But then again so would most of the guitars I see around here. :laughing7:

<--beating Gary about the head with my 'burst

dbw said:
GoDrex said:

ouch - your's looks nice. At least it's totally unnatural looking - like an electric guitar should be. the other one you don't play anymore, not so much :laughing7:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
nathana said:
Personally I think what looks 'off' about it is thinking about the forearm contour while staring at the grain on the contour. The grain falls away and accentuates the curving / weird slanty look.

Not true with a lam top.

No, definitely true-- I was talking about his particular guitar, and the specific grain on his forearm contour. And it curves with the contour and makes it look weirder than it might if the grain patterns on the guitbox were different.

GoDrex said:
dbw said:
GoDrex said:

ouch - your's looks nice. At least it's totally unnatural looking - like an electric guitar should be. the other one you don't play anymore, not so much :laughing7:

Well, My Granny had a very nice coffee table with a nice dragonburst finish!

And btw, I think that Tele looks great, including foreskincontour (crap I said it again) and grain!

Maybe someone said it and I missed it, but that guitar does look a little odd.  However, I think it has more to do with the prominent change in the grain of that swamp ash as a result than the actual cut itself.

+1

I think the forearm contour looks better with a solid colour finish. I love mine and its so relaxing to play that axe.

Lucky #007 said:
Maybe someone said it and I missed it, but that guitar does look a little odd.  However, I think it has more to do with the prominent change in the grain of that swamp ash as a result than the actual cut itself.

Yeah! That's what I've been saying  :icon_thumright:

Damn you, wood grain. Why can't you just be all uniform and predictable  :icon_biggrin:

I've got an early 90's U.S. customshop Schecter PT-X with forearm contour. I don't play it anymore, but never thought it looked weird. It's rather comfortable and more like a sports Tele :) ...

My opinion about the forearm contour on the Tele had nothing to do with grain patterns, because I don't think they flow on solid colored Tele bodies either.  Like I stated before, it's the flat top, edge radius, and lack of contours on the rest of the body that draw attention to differences.  But like pictured below (tummy cuts not forearm contours - contour is a contour for illustration purposes), the grain pattern of Ash is exagerated and distorted when not done as a flat top.

WarmothContour02.jpg

WarmothContour01.jpg

i have already stopped noticing the contour now. in another week i think i will become oblivious to it.

btw my tele seems a bit neck heavy. when strapped on i like to have the guitar slightly tilted upward. but the tele's neck constantly seem to be coming down.

not sure if it has anything to due with the pau ferro fretboard - is pau ferro heavy?

or is it the gotoh sg38 tuners?

>Like I stated before, it's the flat top, edge radius, and lack of contours on the rest of the body that draw attention to differences.

not sure about the flat top - aren't strats and jazzmasters flattops too?

but the lack of rounded edges as in a strat or jm, is definitely a factor in the contours not blending in well.

btw i have a flat top les paul with a belly cut - but no forearm contour. it is a weird model called gibson les paul junior special plus! that looks fine imo.

vtpcnk said:
>Like I stated before, it's the flat top, edge radius, and lack of contours on the rest of the body that draw attention to differences.

not sure about the flat top - aren't strats and jazzmasters flattops too?

but the lack of rounded edges as in a strat or jm, is definitely a factor in the contours not blending in well.

btw i have a flat top les paul with a belly cut - but no forearm contour. it is a weird model called gibson les paul junior special plus! that looks fine imo.

Yes, but they're not usually made of Ash, so the grain pattern isn't as pronounced.  Are you having trouble quoting?  I notice it on a lot of your posts.

i agree about the forearm contour ruining shapes of bodies. BUT i wouldn't be too bothered if the body i wanted had one. i've got no problem with tummy cuts though! i'm a little guy, and a guitar digging into my ribs = no fun.

i really like that tele though, good build! and build and learn i guess, if that helps any.  :-\

anddd i would also like to know if pao ferro is heavy. i'm planning on using it as the wood for my neck build.

Back