Tele with a Strat Trem / Floyd Rose?

rauchman

Greetings,

My first Warmoth was a Tele, and I've grown very fond of the sound.  I like the bridge pup considerably more than a Strat bridge pup, but.....I'd like the additional functionality of trem.

Toying with new build ideas

Has anyone made a Tele with a Strat Trem/Floyd and how did it affect the sound?

Generally, you lose a certain "snap", that quick attack on the note, with trem versus hardtail. The springs and/or trem block absorb a little of that energy. For instance, hardtail Strats fall slightly between Strats and Teles in feel and tone.

I got two tele's with Floyds, but both are hollow and have hums...But sound amazing...
PointysFloyds.jpg

I have no idea about the answer, regarding the trem.  I thought Floyd Rose trems are supposed to reduce the mids and end up with more brightness overall.  However I never owned one, so I have no idea!

In regard to pickups, which Telecaster pickup do you have in mind?  I'm wondering if there aren't some strat size humbuckers that would do the same job.

JohnnyHardtail said:
I have no idea about the answer, regarding the trem.  I thought Floyd Rose trems are supposed to reduce the mids and end up with more brightness overall.  However I never owned one, so I have no idea!

In regard to pickups, which Telecaster pickup do you have in mind?  I'm wondering if there aren't some strat size humbuckers that would do the same job.

I'm with ya, I don't have much Floyd experience either.  I've read repeatedly that they do affect the tone, but not sure how.

I'm not looking for a humbucker sound for this guitar, but a single coil sound.  Between a Tele and Strat bridge pup, I've grown to like the Tele better.  I don't recall seeing/hearing a Tele with a Strat/Floyd type bridge, so thought it would be interesting to explore.

I have a set of Bill Lawrence (wildepickups) Tele MicroCoils that I've never done anything with....and they get praised a lot.  I bought them when I made my first Warmoth (Tele), but had gone with the Bill Lawrence Twin Blades option (L48T and L45S) on that one.  One the last build (Warmoth Velocity), I had picked up a couple of Tele bridge plates that would allow for a trem....basically, it just covers the area where the pickup route is vs the entire bridge.  Ultimately, went with HB's on that guitar though.

yo a Tele single coil in the brdge with a floyd sounds pretty novel, but how do you mount it? Wood mount or does someplace make a plate? might look fugly, but hey whatev works am i rite?

like when i got banned from the Payless Shoes Store for trying on too many shoes. i would put on 1 pair and then another style in a bigger size over top of them, and so on until I was at least 8" taller than everyone else. i know i know, "rob just get 8" heels or platform boots". firrst off, i don't think I look great in heels, second I already have some tall platform boots. but now my friend Todd has to take a clay mold of my feet to the store to try on shoes for me and its a real bummer. We all just want to pay less like the store name says.

but hey like I said, whatev works.

BroccoliRob said:
yo a Tele single coil in the brdge with a floyd sounds pretty novel, but how do you mount it? Wood mount or does someplace make a plate? might look fugly, but hey whatev works am i rite?

like when i got banned from the Payless Shoes Store for trying on too many shoes. i would put on 1 pair and then another style in a bigger size over top of them, and so on until I was at least 8" taller than everyone else. i know i know, "rob just get 8" heels or platform boots". firrst off, i don't think I look great in heels, second I already have some tall platform boots. but now my friend Todd has to take a clay mold of my feet to the store to try on shoes for me and its a real bummer. We all just want to pay less like the store name says.

but hey like I said, whatev works.

Behold the Tele bridge pickup conversion mounting plate....

This one works with a humbucker route
https://www.rockinger.com/en/parts/hardware/bridges-tailpieces/fender-style-bridges/361/pickup-ring-for-tele-bridge-pickup-chrome

And this one works with a standard Tele route
http://thebridge-works.com/Fender-TeleTelecaster-Tone-Ring-Plate-with-a-Minimum-Lip-P5619319.aspx

I saw some options for plastic conversion mounting plates too, but I would it best to stick with a metal plate for better retention of the Tele sound.

The Tele sound comes from a bridge pup, stronger than a Strat, coupled with a metal base plate, nestled in a ferrous metal bridge. Saddle type comes into play as well.

Get a Strat bridge pup and put a base plate on it (ala Fralin) and get into a ferrous metal mounting structure, you’re pretty much there.

If using the humbucker conversion ring, I suggest to check the bridge pickup location of a Tele compared to where Warmoth position the bridge humbucker.  I guess it may be similar to using a Strat pickup conversion ring, in that pickup placement will not be the same as an actual Strat.  Raunchman and I already had that discussion in a different thread.

I thought xparallax's project with a Wilkinson trem was cool.  That is HSS hybrid strat, but has a Tele control route.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33337.msg468303#msg468303

Back