Tele Setup

JohnL

Just finished my tele build. Looks like I will need to level the frets - don't think I want to do this myself. Neck and body quality is very good.

A question: should I use the Fender setup guidelines or does the Warmoth neck/body need something different?

A Warmoth neck should not need a fret level out of the box. Tell us why you think this.

I have read reviews where people have told of the need to level frets on a Warmoth neck. I had some buzz after my initial setup. Plus, a Warmoth customer service rep told me it might be necessary.

After I wrote my original post I put on 10-gage strings (I initially had put on 9-gage) and did another setup. Seems to have solved my (perceived) problem. Maybe the first setup wasn't quite right.

I'm using the specs from the Fender website. Any suggestions otherwise? Factory specs work fine for me on other guitars.

I know it's been mentioned before but the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine is a great resource.  There're a couple of chapters with measurements. For measurements just treat it like a fender neck and then adjust to your personal taste. 

As to my experience with warmoth necks, never had to do a dressing.  Have done little filing to fret ends, but that's just a matter of personal tasted.

AirCap said:
A Warmoth neck should not need a fret level out of the box. Tell us why you think this.

Speaking in absolutes isnt always the best course. As a casual observer on the forum its apparent a great deal, maybe even most dont require attention. There have been reported cases where necks did require attention though. Having none of the above mentioned necks in hand I wont speak diffinitively. Aside from all of that I happen to have a 4 year old roasted maple neck that has recently been put into service for the first time. It needs some love for sure. It doesn't have enough relief and it has a couple of high frets. :dontknow:

I've had three Warmoth necks and probably could have gotten away with doing nothing, but all three did have a few slightly high frets and I got them leveled.

It's all a matter of degree. I've never seen a Warmoth neck that wasn't playable right out of the box, and I've seen a lot of them. Hell, it wouldn't take long shipping unplayable necks before they wouldn't be asked to ship any more necks, no matter how low the price or how pretty the wood was.

But, it's a simple matter of fact that they are built to allow for fine-tuning to suit a particular setup/playing style. The frets aren't dressed because not everybody wants them dressed, or dressed the same way. The nuts are cut well, but shallow to allow for different gauge string sets or playing styles to be implemented. The frets are as level as they can be, considering they're mounted in wood, but there's going to be some variation because of that. Usually, it's too little to matter for most, but for those who want low action or who have a light touch, it's worth going through them and making sure they're perfect.

It's no hit on Warmoth - they even mention on their commercial site that for best performance a professional setup should be performed. Most new necks are built that way, regardless of manufacturer, for the same reasons.

Back