Taking the plunge

Xplorervoodoo

So after careful deliberation, and weeks of thinking and self-convincing, I've ordered a mahogany body blank.

It's rear routed for a single bridge P90 (A Roadhouse "True Blue"), and recessed TOM with staggered string-through.  The plan is for a Jr. style double cutaway with a simple solid color finish.

I'll decide on a neck later, but I'm leaning towards a Wenge/Ziricote Warmoth-2 with no inlays.

Wish me luck!  This thread will be updated very slowly, I'm imagining...  :laughing7:

Cool! Sounds like a fun project! I've been wanting to do a Jr.-style fiddle for a while, so I'll look forward to following your build.

Cagey said:
Cool! Sounds like a fun project! I've been wanting to do a Jr.-style fiddle for a while, so I'll look forward to following your build.

Well with the quality of work you do, I'll try not to let you down.  :eek:ccasion14:

Sounds like a nice build! Looking forward to seeing what you do!  :guitarplayer2:

My understanding is that metallic and candy finishes in general are not for the inexperienced. I've never seriously tried one, so I can't speak to it with any authority, but I've read a lot about it and it frightens me off even though I consider myself an experienced finisher. Perhaps I'm just timid, but it seems you need to have a level of confidence and understanding in your ability, the material and equipment that borders on intuitive to pull it off. That only comes with a lot of time in grade, so I've avoided it.

Cagey said:
My understanding is that metallic and candy finishes in general are not for the inexperienced. I've never seriously tried one, so I can't speak to it with any authority, but I've read a lot about it and it frightens me off even though I consider myself an experienced finisher. Perhaps I'm just timid, but it seems you need to have a level of confidence and understanding in your ability, the material and equipment that borders on intuitive to pull it off. That only comes with a lot of time in grade, so I've avoided it.

I may have misled by saying "metallic"...  Are you referring to the flake type finishes?  The finishing method I linked in the last post describes using spray can lacquer, I would only need a can of silver, and a can of black...  Or is silver not offered?  I haven't really looked into supplies yet, but if the silverburst turns out to be too difficult, I'll scale it back to just a solid color, I have no problem with that lol.

Juniors rock!

This should be a great build. If you're planning any kind of solid or metallic finish, make sure you fill those mahogany pores real well. Any grain will show like crazy and probably not be what you were hoping for. Also, silver really paint really looks best over a black base coat. Plus, the black will really show what still needs filling.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back