Switchcraft 3-way toggle switches - junk?

Pazuzu93

Hey guys, so I'm working on a Les Paul knockoff of mine. Completely gutted the electronics and putting in CTS pots, a Switchcraft jack and toggle switch, etc.

I'm having issues with the toggle switch I bought. When I first got it installed, I noticed that, when attempting to flip from bridge pickup to middle position, there was so little resistance that it would go straight to neck pickup. This is a BRAND NEW switch, by the way.

So I took a small flathead and slightly bent one of the tabs (I guess the one that disconnects the bridge when engaged) to provide more resistance. That worked, but now it seems that the contact points aren't  actually making contact when the switch is in the middle position, meaning dead silence in the middle once this thing is soldered up.

I kind of don't want to screw with it and mess it up more, so I figured I'd come here for advice from those more knowledgeable before I ruin the switch completely. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200408_162823.jpg
    20200408_162823.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 316
  • 20200408_162826.jpg
    20200408_162826.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 269
TBurst Std said:
I suggest you got a bad switch. Simply return and replace.

The only reason I didn't do that immediately is because I bought it months ago and just got around to doing the project. Wish I had checked it more thoroughly back then.

I actually dealt with this a few weeks ago.  Basically you are on the right track.  It is a real balancing act to get all the parts bent correctly.  Once done it'll work fine.

I found it easier to disassemble the switch and then bend the offending sides to match the good ones.  To take it apart, just remove the two screws on one side and then you can gently pry the pieces apart.  You'll see there are two 'tubes' that friction-fit everything together.  Once the pieces are bent to shape, reassemble and test it.  I had to do it a couple times to get the action just right but it is as good as new now.

You can fix them as described, and lord knows I'm a low or no cost DIY-fixer guy from way back, but for what a new switch costs...

Pretend it was a case of beer (or whatever) that you already drank.

Those wafers are heat-treated to to be springs as well as conductors, and aren't designed to be bent or otherwise mis-shaped. Your fix is liable to be temporary, which imbues them with some kind of weird sentience that's somehow aware of when the worst time to fail exists.

Fix it, so you know how in a tight spot, but plan on replacing it asap if not sooner.

I'd say that could be the problem, in that the contact tabs were never tempered right to begin with. That or their located incorrectly.

Right. All the more reason to simply replace it. It's just not worth the future hardship. What's $10-$15 against the aggravation of a something as simple as a switch? Same with pots and jacks. Contact cleaner and other temporary stop-gap measures are the opiate of the masses. It's a false hope. Doesn't cure anything as much as it seems to in the moment. Little electrical parts are cheap. No reason to tolerate poor performance. just replace the little rascals and call ti a love story.

Interesting - switchcraft items are usually pretty solid.  Quick question for my curiosity:  Does it actually say "switchcraft" anywhere on it?

As others have said, I'd just get a new switch.  Digikey works great most places in the world.  If you're in Canada I'd suggest next-gen guitars.

If it were me, then I’d get a heavy duty switch like DiMarzio’s EP1111

4pdt%20pickup%20selector%20switch%203%20position%20ononon.png

They’re not like the open, flimsy switches that are prone to problems - as you’ve experienced.
They’re expensive and worth every penny.
Plus they’re 4PDT, which means you can do some creative wiring, not possible on the Switchcraft.

Logrinn said:
If it were me, then I’d get a heavy duty switch like DiMarzio’s EP1111

They’re not like the open, flimsy switches that are prone to problems - as you’ve experienced.
They’re expensive and worth every penny.
Plus they’re 4PDT, which means you can do some creative wiring, not possible on the Switchcraft.
How do these feel compared to a Switchcraft? I used something similar to this recently but it is a bit too stiff for a quick flick to switch pickups.

It’s stiffer than a switchcraft, but not as stiff as the one I got for my Mustang. That particular switch looked exactly like the DiMarzio one, but was of another (unknown) brand.
The DiMarzio feels very good IMO. Not exactly stiff, but more like a switch with ”clear definition”.

Thanks. It sounds like you also had one like the one I got. I may have to try a DiMarzio one as a replacement. Otherwise, how will I know for sure?  :icon_biggrin:

Back