swamp ash tele l-s-h

t0m

Well I actually made this a long  time ago  and  it sat  around with the body unfinished. recently a buddy and me  stained and cleared it(with a hint of blue pearl too).

Barden blades liptish single and humbucker.

Also  im changing the pickguard to black soon.

tele.jpg

tele1.jpg

tele2.jpg

tele3.jpg

tele4.jpg

OOOOOweeeee lookit that neck!  Warmoth should be ashamed for letting that one out.  Its all mottled... full of blemishes.  For what they charge you think they'd have some nice straight-grained maple floating around the place and not have to use that wavy grained stuff  :laughing7:

I'm glad... VERY glad someone else is thinking outside the box on this sort of thing.  RIT dye works GREAT on wood, and if you use a UV inhibiting lacquer (or poly I suppose) it will be very color fast too.

Great idea, never would have thunk that one up!!! What did you dissolve the Rit in? I have an import neck through LP flame maple capped mahoghany neck/body I was going to strip/refinish I picked up for practically nothing to use as a test bed...

-CB- said:
I'm glad... VERY glad someone else is thinking outside the box on this sort of thing.  RIT dye works GREAT on wood, and if you use a UV inhibiting lacquer (or poly I suppose) it will be very color fast too.

Well  i woulda  never thought of it  but my friend  has  apparently done this a few times  before and he suggested it.

but i was very  suprised  at how well  it works  against the grain of the wood.

RIT liquid can be diluted with water.

Mix RIT powder in BOILING water (just a little water is needed), then it can be diluted further with Denatured Alcohol (which penetrates better in some instances, and no worse than water in any instance).  You'll end up with like 2 or 3 ounces of water, and the rest to make a quart or so with denatured alcohol.

-CB- said:
RIT liquid can be diluted with water.

Mix RIT powder in BOILING water (just a little water is needed), then it can be diluted further with Denatured Alcohol (which penetrates better in some instances, and no worse than water in any instance).  You'll end up with like 2 or 3 ounces of water, and the rest to make a quart or so with denatured alcohol.

we used denatured alcohol.

Very nice tele. I love the bladed pickups and the neck with the dyed RIT is a really neat idea.

I gotta try it... Vic's is gonna be blue.  I think I'll try some of the RIT blue jean blue powder and alcohol.  VERY COOL

Its a little more turquoise than I wanted... but a keeper.  The dye went on BLUE but as it continued to migrate into the wood, it separated and you really have this blue and turquoise effect.  Similarly, if you put a drop on a paper towel, it separates and you get a blue, turquoise and very green "ring" of dye.  I've been told this is the nature of metallic dyes.

The RIT dye... in faded jeans color... might just be the ticket for Vic's tele.  Got months to try it out, so no rush, other items to finish in the meantime too.

got all my black hardware in.

i managed to break  my tremelo arm  sometime in the past  week  so I may be  going  with a different tremolo.

blackfacetele1.jpg

blackfacetele2.jpg

Ohh that neck is fantastic! and i love a tele with a trem! great job  :glasses9:

Back