Swamp ash/Pau ferro Strat. progress report

willyk

This is going to take a while, we are off on an overseas trip in a couple of weeks to UK then Canada/USA. The idea is to get the body finished so it cures while I'm away. The color is a bit too 'honey' at the present stage, I'm aiming for something closer to the pau ferro neck. The lighting is all over the place in this shot.

2443566137_25396182b9.jpg

Color's GREAT mate, should contrast well with the neck, or is it lighter than it looks in the picture?

jackthehack said:
Color's GREAT mate, should contrast well with the neck, or is it lighter than it looks in the picture?

It's both lighter and greyer than it shows in the pic. I'll try for a daylight shot tomorrow. ( It's probably bloody pink. :icon_scratch:)

dude it looks great !
That's a great gloss you got here, what fiinish are you using ?

The finish looks awsome.  The clear looks to be about 5 miles deep and as flat and glassy as it can be. 

One problem though, that neck is a nice color, but it looks kinda messed up, i mean it screws on from the top?  Where are the frets?  It doesn't even fill the neck pocket.  I think you might want to send it back before the warranty runs out.  :icon_jokercolor:

The finish is clear poly, with a splash of brown stain. (for the Aussies; Cabothane gloss and Feast-Watson Jarrah. all from Bunnings and reasonably cheap!)
Here's a picture I took today in daylight before giving it another coat (with a bit more stain added)

2448362958_8fef5541e0.jpg

I don't want to radically change it, just darken it a little. I'm just going to build up a nice depth of color, leave it hang for a month while we're away then buff it up and put it together when we get home.

The color is more to my liking now. Time to leave it alone for a while. Now I have to work out what to put in it. :dontknow:

2455964418_e00e1f978e.jpg

Probably the RioGrande MG/HB/TB set like my right handed Korinakaster or maybe Fralins. :icon_scratch:

ooooooo nice one willy, good to see that tasty gold plate on something equally smokin hot. i really dig the honey colour, and i'm heaps impressed by how much grain came through with the filler, looks tasty  :headbang1:

did you use a spray gun for the gloss? i'm still kinda dicking around with the lp idea, with glosses/mattes/possibly hammertone (i really like that bass you re-done) etc. i'll let you know the plans when you get back. 

have a tops holiday mate, take care and have fun!  :icon_thumright:

Thanks RITF...The gloss is sprayed on, I'm looking forward to hearing your plans.. sounds intriguing. Talk soon :eek:ccasion14:

Just a parting shot before I head off on my sojourn to the new world.

2476834165_1df59ba665.jpg

I finally found a use for those old P bass ashtrays that nobody seems to fit these days.. :headbang:

willyk said:
Just a parting shot before I head off on my sojourn to the new world

I finally found a use for those old P bass ashtrays that nobody seems to fit these days.. :headbang:

:laughing7: Nice!

willyk said:
Just a parting shot before I head off on my sojourn to the new world.

2476834165_1df59ba665.jpg

Ingenuity at its' finest! Awesome. :headbang:

NonsenseTele said:
Bare Knuckle Pickups! Give it a try!

Heard LOTS of good things about these UK pickups.

I have Rio Grande Dirty Harrys on my Tele and they are hands down the best pickups I've ever heard in my life.

Back