Swamp Ash Floyd Rose wang-a-phon Warmoth neck

After much, indeed too freakin' much thinking, I have made my decision.

But you're not going to like it.

I think the white washes out the gold, and to a lesser extent the green. I'm going for the red/brown tort with black hardware.

edited to add: In fact
s-l400.jpg

After a lot, too freakin' much of listening I think I shall go for the very duck sounding classic Strat sounding Bare Knuckle Sultan's with the base plate to beef them up a bit, with a Sustainiac in the neck.

On a standard strat which tone affects the neck and which controls the middle pickup? It's been a while since I've handled one. 
How does

amigarobbo said:
....I'm going for the red/brown tort with black hardware...... (&) ....very duck sounding classic Strat sounding Bare Knuckle Sultan's with the base plate to beef them up a bit, with a Sustainiac in the neck.

Go for it! A man who knows what he wants, should go with what he knows.

:icon_thumright:

amigarobbo said:
On a standard strat which tone affects the neck and which controls the middle pickup? It's been a while since I've handled one. 

On a traditional Strat, the forward tone knob controls the neck and middle pickups, and the rear one controls the bridge. On a well-considered Strat, there's only one tone knob, and it controls everything. It's easier. Besides, with the duty divided up the way it usually is, if you're one to use the tone control much, you're always reaching down to adjust anyway because it's rarely right. May as well have a single destination so you don't have to think about it.

amigarobbo said:
After much, indeed too freakin' much thinking, I have made my decision.

But you're not going to like it.

I think the white washes out the gold, and to a lesser extent the green. I'm going for the red/brown tort with black hardware.

After a lot, too freakin' much of listening I think I shall go for the very duck sounding classic Strat sounding Bare Knuckle Sultan's with the base plate to beef them up a bit, with a Sustainiac in the neck.

How does

Take careful notice of Sustainiac's website with regard to using a slanted bridge pickup.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Take careful notice of Sustainiac's website with regard to using a slanted bridge pickup.

I asked them about it,

[quote author=Moi]

Hello, I’m building a single coil strat type of guitar, I’ve got the body built and will probably fits some traditional style Strat pickups in the bridge and middle (Bare Knuckle Sultans) and one of your Sustaniac Single coil pickups, I’ve not let ordered any pickups yet.

1: Will it be okey with the slanted Strat pickup?

2: I’d like to able to use the 2+3 hum cancelling, 'out of phase' sound, if I ordered a standard RWRP mid coil would that work with a sustaniac? If not I could just order a stock wound Mid pickup

3: In between using push pull pots or switches as controls, are the positions on the push pull pots variable? As in with a pot used in the mix position is there an infinite blend between the two mix modes or is simply one or the other?  Or to put it another, way do pots give more tonal possibilities than switches?

As I say I’m building it, so have no problem putting holes in the pick guard for switches.

Thanks for your time,
[/quote]

They got back to me,

Hello, Mr. Thingy,

Thanks for your interest in Sustainiac products.  The answers to questions 1 and 2 are YES.  The middle PU is always OFF when the sustainiac is ON. Toggles for Sustainiac are best if you don't mind drilling holes in your pickguard.

The clot plot thickens, yet more studying is required!

Cagey said:
amigarobbo said:

On a traditional Strat, the forward tone knob controls the neck and middle pickups, and the rear one controls the bridge. On a well-considered Strat, there's only one tone knob, and it controls everything. It's easier. Besides, with the duty divided up the way it usually is, if you're one to use the tone control much, you're always reaching down to adjust anyway because it's rarely right. May as well have a single destination so you don't have to think about it.

Good news, after a series of emails with Sustainiac you can't use the Sustainiac control pot as a tone control when the Sustainiac isn't running, so I had to go for a single master tone.

Other news just in, I've got the Bare knuckle pickups, I've got some red tort style stuff from China, and the Sustainiac pickup is on the way! I think I've got everything so I can hand it a professional! I've seen the wiring diagram, Woo!  I'm not getting involved in that!

http://www.sustainiac.com/shred-pushpulls.pdf

Also I need to cut out a space in the trem space for the battery, and I don't have the tools, or indeed skill to do that.

:turtle:

Cagey said:
I sometimes wonder if Peavey deliberately chooses extra-heavy wood. I've played a few of their guitars and have always been struck by how heavy they are.

Talking about the weight of a T-40:-

[youtube]muMgMQ7ku0s[/youtube]

48 seconds on, if you're busy.

:headbanging:

Too funny. I can't believe he tried to weigh the thing the way he did. At least, I think that's what he was trying to do. Tough to understand what he was saying. They speak better English in Mexico, fer crissakes.

Cagey said:
Too funny. I can't believe he tried to weigh the thing the way he did. At least, I think that's what he was trying to do. Tough to understand what he was saying. They speak better English in Mexico, fer crissakes.

Seems kinda canny, like.

Oh, and while I'm here, a trained technician is presently ramming all the Sustainiac/pickup parts into my guitar, hopefully it should be ready by next week, if not earlier :turtle:

News just in, the man who I gave it to has taken a half built guitar and a big box of electrics and successfully stuffed the latter into the former!  :hello2:

DSC02096_zps5lg8r1tu.jpeg

DSC02097_zps0h8xxbhj.jpeg

I'll pick it up on Monday! See how much Twang! I can get out of those pickups, and how much  Twaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I can get out of the Sustainer!

Thinks about putting this into March's Guitar of the Month, looks at the quality of the submissions, decides against it..

:icon_thumright:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...........................

I think I've worked out how to attach photos without messing about with Photobucket

Attachments

• DSC02104.JPG
    DSC02104.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Yep those photos I emailed to Photobucket and I've received conformation that they're up, about 3 hours ago still haven't appeared so...

Attachments

• DSC02100.JPG
    DSC02100.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • DSC02103.JPG
    DSC02103.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
Back